I am trying to install phpbb to use as a forum on my home server but I don't know where to start in the line of mysql. I have downloaded the latest version of mysql and installed it, but I can't figure out how to create a database for phpbb.

Thanks
[edit]
sorry but I put this topic in the wrong forum. Got lost in the layout.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

phpbb has its own install scripts that builds the tables. Can you "see" your phpbb install?

Are you sure mysql is running?

By the way, a very nice interface to mysql is phpmyadmin. Once you set it up (medium skill level) then you can see what you've got.

I am trying to install phpbb to use as a forum on my home server but I don't know where to start in the line of mysql. I have downloaded the latest version of mysql and installed it, but I can't figure out how to create a database for phpbb.

As barnamos said, phpMyAdmin is a very useful tool for fiddling with MySQL. It's not difficult to install - if you already have a web server with PHP working, just extract it to your root directory, rename the directory to whatever you want, and point your browser to it.

I am having a local friend help me with that. I got past the install part, I just cant create the databases.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.