Sorry to bother this forum, but I don't know who else to ask. Please redirect me to a more appropriate forum if needed.

I've had a website for my wife for the last 12 years. She is an artist. I registered her domain name through Network Solutions. Her site has been hosted all this time by a company called Terrasite. Last week, we could no longer sign onto her email. Website still works. We have tried repeatedly to get someone to contact us, no one will. I fear the company is going under. She has lots of customer contacts and emails in her old email. I know I will have to bite the bullet and get someone else to host it. My questions are:

First, and most importantly, will she be able to use her old domain name, and email address, or is this something that would have to be released by Terrasite? She has given out thousands of business cards with her email address on it the last few years, it would suck to lose that email.

Would the company where we registered the domain (Network Solutions) be able to do anything, or is it all tied to Terrasite? Anyway to extract email from an nonresponsive server?

Anyone have any ideas on anything I can do, outside of driving to Rochester, NY and banging on the door?

If I have to go with a new company, do any of you have suggestions? Something reliable is obviously key, with a good email interface. We only need one email, and use between 1000-2000 mb on the website.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm up against the wall. 

Iggy

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First, and most importantly, will she be able to use her old domain name, and email address, or is this something that would have to be released by Terrasite? She has given out thousands of business cards with her email address on it the last few years, it would suck to lose that email.

Yes, if you are the "owner" of the domain, you have control, especially if it was registered with Network Solutions. They arent going anywhere for now. so log into your account and review the DNS zone records. You can point the records (www, MX record, etc.) to another provider when you are ready to move.

Would the company where we registered the domain (Network Solutions) be able to do anything, or is it all tied to Terrasite? Anyway to extract email from an nonresponsive server?

If the name was registered with Network Solutions and you are the customer contact, you have control over the domain name...period.

Anyway to extract email from an nonresponsive server?

Unfortunately, you have to work with Terrasite for this one. The mail is on their servers, correct? This has nothing to do with Network Solutions or the domain name. It is the fact that they have your data and you want it back.

If I have to go with a new company, do any of you have suggestions? Something reliable is obviously key, with a good email interface. We only need one email, and use between 1000-2000 mb on the website.

There are plenty of options. You can even host your website and email with Network Solutions. A less costly option is GoDaddy. There are a ton of others..

Thank you so much Jorge, for your advice and not commenting on my ignorance. Much appreciated!

glad the information was helpful. good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.