Hi all,

I have a little server in my office network with Windows Server 2008. I have assigned it manually the IP: 192.168.1.100, but randomly after a restart, a strange IP was assigned (something like 169...*) then the server is cutted from the network and I have to disable/enable the network to get the correct IP.

Why this happens? I manually assigned IP just for avoiding this problem, but it is still there.

Every solution is accepted, also a workaround!

Thank you a lot for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

A 169.254.x.x address is within the APIPA range (automatic private IP address). This type of address is assigned to a network interface, when it it configured as a DHCP client.

In your case, if you applied a static IP, this should not have happened. Why did it happen? A fluke maybe. Do you have the latest driver applied? Is this a reputable interface adapter? Check your system event log for possible errors.

have you tried pinging the loop back 127.0.0.1, if you've done manual settings and still doesn't work..it could be a hardware problem, adapter spoiled, network cable issue, network socket loose, spoiled or dirty.. a lot of possible issue...

netsh winsock reset <-- have u tried this?

check out this one as well -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.