Just wondering if there is some sort of limitation on the sound output in remote desktop. My comp at home has a sound that will support a 4 speaker sound setup. At my friends house, they have the exact same card setup with the surround sound. and it works... its not driver's either cuz there using the same drivers (c-media 8738 chipset from winblows update) yet when I remote into my computer and play music it wont come out the rear... anyone have any ideas or is this something that is not supported?? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Pretty sure it's only stereo sound.

Keep in mind, Remote Desktop isn't meant for audiophiles or anything-- it's just meant to hear error messages, and other notifications while you're remoted into that system. It's not realistic to think that you're going to get decent sound over a network connection in that fashion, anyways.

Just wondering if there is some sort of limitation on the sound output in remote desktop. My comp at home has a sound that will support a 4 speaker sound setup. At my friends house, they have the exact same card setup with the surround sound. and it works... its not driver's either cuz there using the same drivers (c-media 8738 chipset from winblows update) yet when I remote into my computer and play music it wont come out the rear... anyone have any ideas or is this something that is not supported?? Thanks

RUn the Remote Desktop (RUN mstsc)
Type the ip address or server/computer name.
Don not clickk connect yet, click Options button instead.
Go to local resources Tabs.
-on remote computer sound, change "do not play" to "Bring to this computer".
Experience Tabs
-choose LAN

Click connect. :)

thats what i have been doing... I wouldn't have been able to get anything on my friends comp if I hadn't done that... The question is this, can i get the music transfered to my friends comp with 4-ch surround from my on remote desktop? As opposed to 2 ch stereo. That works fine. Both sound cards are identical, and setup identically. thanks

thats what i have been doing... I wouldn't have been able to get anything on my friends comp if I hadn't done that... The question is this, can i get the music transfered to my friends comp with 4-ch surround from my on remote desktop? As opposed to 2 ch stereo. That works fine. Both sound cards are identical, and setup identically. thanks

What software are you using? Is the audio file in multi speaker format, or the player supports 5.1. I have the same problem in my Winamp player. If my soundcard is setup to 5.1 (SB Audigy), the mp3 i played in winamp plays only in front speakers. I f i configure my soundcard to 2.1, the winamp plays on all the speakers.
Do some test locally, play audio file in your plyer and see if it plays on your rear spk. if not change it to 2.1 mode.

I'm telling you, it's not going to work. Remote desktop just isn't set up to do more than 2-channel audio.

What are you trying to do, anyways?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.