hey.
i have a problem concerning windows xp service pack2. i reinstalled windows xp few months back because i had a hard disk failure. after installation, eveytime, when i plugged in my external DVD-R or external hard disk to the usb port, an error will pop up on the taskbar. the message is something like this.

this device can perform faster. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here.

when i clicked on the message, it says that a hi speed usb device attached to non hi speed hub. and stated that the hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI SPEED USB device. all my six unused ports are under a USB Root Hub which is bold

i thought windows xp2 supplied usb2.0 drivers while installation? What's the problem then?. In device manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there are :

USB Mass Storage Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

I have attached few pictures i captured for the error msgs and my device manager. I really hope anyone can solve this problem. Thanks for the time.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Do you have a number of different USB connection locations on your machine?
If so, where are they?

Which ones are you using to connect your devices to?
Does connecting these devices to different ports result in the same message?

i have 6 ports. 4 behind and 2 in front. yes, when i connect my device to different ports the same msg will pop at the taskbar.

im having the same problem, everytime i connect my ipod i get that message

Are you sure that the connections that you have on your machine support the USB 2.0 spec? How old is your computer and what is the make/model of the system?

bought this motherboard few years back. the specs for the usb on the motherboard according to the manual:
USB2.0
-compliant with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.0
-compliant with Intel's Enhanced Host Controller Interface Specification Revision 0.95
-compliant with Universal Host Controller Interface Specification Revision 1.1
-PCI multi-function device consists of two UHCI Host Controller cores for full/low speed signaling
-Root Hub consits 4 downstream facing ports with integrated physical layer transceivers shared by UHCI and EHCI Host Controller
-Support PCI-Bus Power Management Interface Specification release 1.1
-Legacy support for all downstream facing ports

but when i used service pack 1, the problem didnt occur

Try reinstalling the drivers for your motherboard. Some motherboards also have special drivers to install just for the USB bus.

i tried using the cd provided but the installation will not proceed. the installation wont run when i click on the setup.exe file in the cd.
this didnt occur when i use sp1.

so ideas anyone????

You haven't mentioned the Make and Model of your motherboard; perhaps a bios update?

How about trying this?

so ideas anyone????

ive tried the "help and support from microsoft" before but sadly still the same. my motherboard is p4VMM2. It is an old motherboard. And how do i update bios?

It seems you have an ECS motherboard.

Check this link
This is the first version of that board since you've stated yours is old.

Check the link in the Important Note section. it will tell you how to check which version of the motherboard you have and how to find out which bios version you have.

If this is your board, Before we try the bios route go here
and download the USB 2.0 driver for Windows XP(Version 2.44). Try the setup again. if it fails try to update the driver using device manager.

Let us know how it goes, and the board and bios version.

ive tried the "help and support from microsoft" before but sadly still the same. my motherboard is p4VMM2. It is an old motherboard. And how do i update bios?

my board is P4VMM2 according to the label on the motherboard and on the startup screen it says that P4VMM2 release 02/12/2003. At the startup screen it didnt show my bios version but when i press delete to enter bios it stated there AMIBIOS SIMPLE SETUP UTILITY VERSION 1.21.12

ive tried installing the driver which i downloaded from the given website. But....after the "USB 2.0 program setup is preparing the InstallShiel (r) Wizard....." turns 100% nothing happen. the window just disappear. there was no setup wizard or such.

still troubled here. in need of help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.