I have aol 8.0 installed on my laptop so when I go home (on college breaks) I can connect using my mom's telephone line and aol account.

When I click on hyperlinks, they try to open in aol telling me to sign on.

I have ie6 and a lan connection at college.

Where can I find a preference setting or something that sets ie6 back to the original link opening program. (P.S. all of my program help pages open with aol instead of ie)

I'd like to leave aol on my comp so I don't have to keep installing it to get on the internet when im home, but I want ie to be the main browser when I'm on ethernet.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Get rid of aol >.> and get a real isp, problem solved :/

Zachery, I think he means that his mom has aol - moms get a pass on using aol.

In IE, is Tools/internet options/programs/"Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" checked?

I also found this in help:
To reset Internet Explorer settings

If you installed another Web browser after installing Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer settings to their original defaults, including your home page and search pages, and choice of default browser, without changing your other browser's settings.

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Programs tab.
  3. Click the Reset Web Settings button.

This assumes that aol can be considered a web browser
I hope this helps
GrimJack

commented: polite, good instructions format +23

ahh that's good thanks (and yea my mom has an aol account because my family is poor and underdeveloped in web literacy)

...hmm cant believe i missed that button earlier

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.