I know many people have had this problem, but I read I should post it myself also, so here it is, I am getting this Generic Host Error and the details are
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

since it really doesnt say much I thought of asking somebody with experiance, before I start taking more drastic or painstaking meassures.
I get the feeling that it is related to sound, even though I havent loaded any sound driver lately. This has been happening for a while, I only remember having updated my computer with factory updates (Sony). I guess it could be that the Yamaha sound card update is not compatible, even though it was offered to me as appropiate for my computer, Vaio PCV 790C. I could roll back the driver, if its still in there somewhere and see what happens. I'll wait to see what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through your System and Application logs for entries flagged with "Error" or "Warning", especially those whose time-stamps coincide with the occurence of the problem(s). Double-clicking on such an entry will open a properties window with more detailed information on the error; post the details from a representative sample of some of the different error messages (please don't post duplicates of a given entry, or flood us with the entire contents of the logs).

To post the details:
In the Properties window of a given entry, click on the button with the graphic of two pieces of paper on it; the button is at the right of the window just below the up arrow/down arrow buttons. You won't see anything happen when you click the button, but it will copy all of the details to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste the details into your next post here.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 6/9/2006
Time: 12:29:40 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MUSICMAKER
Description:
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 76 63 ure svc
0018: 68 6f 73 74 2e 65 78 65 host.exe
0020: 20 35 2e 31 2e 32 36 30 5.1.260
0028: 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 69 0.2180 i
0030: 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 n unknow
0038: 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e n 0.0.0.
0040: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0048: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 set 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

I can tell by the AppVer that it is related to my Yamaha sound card, that is the version of the driver....... unless you think otherwise

Unfortunately, "5.1.2600.2180" is the verison number associated with Windows XP itself, as well as many of the software components built for that OS. In other words, seeing that number listed as the AppVer in errors really doesn't tell us anything specific.

Can you give us more detail and background on the errors, please? How often they occur, whether or not they seem to be related to running a certain program or performing a certain task, and any other such clues would be helpful.

Also- have you scanned your system for malicious infections lately? Some virus/spyware infections can cause such errors.

I can see the error message every time I reboot, dont know exactly when the error happened, as explained by Microsoft, I have applied the fix indicated by them, Update for Windows XP (KB894391), but it hasnt fixed it, it started sometime in the past few months, I have tinkered with my limited but intuitive knowledge for many hours trying to fix it, but havent been able to, it seems to be not too serious because the system works, but I would like ot find the cause of it, I have Trend Micro as antivirus, very good so far, I use Windows Registry Repair often, and System Mechanic Pro for clean up, I am the kind of compulsive amateur that likes to learn, and I try to keep my system working well within my limited experiance. Next I will try to start deleting and uninstalling unused and barely used programs, then rolling back drivers of anything I can think of, I hear it could be any service or any driver causing this. I hate to disable start up programs and services one by one and rebooting every time, It seems like a lot of work, but it might ultimately be my only solution..........a note on the side, because I dont think is related to the other error, my shutdown is taking around five minutes, a looong time, I have looked around for solutions but still doing it, just got qsd from winutility.com to see if it helps, I think explorer.exe is the culprit, I thought I should mention it, just in case.........

Next I will try to start deleting and uninstalling unused and barely used programs, then rolling back drivers of anything I can think of, I hear it could be any service or any driver causing this. I hate to disable start up programs and services one by one and rebooting every time, It seems like a lot of work, but it might ultimately be my only solution...

Unfortunately, having no more definitive clues, that would be the next procedure to try. It might also help you pinpoint the shutdown problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.