I have a program that I want to run, but it will only run in the adminstrator account, is there a way I can create a shortcut by entering the admin password into it somehow to run?

This is what I've tried and it didn't work:
I created a regular shortcut to the program, then I right-clicked, properties
then under the shortcut tab, i clicked advanced
then I check off "run with different credentials" click ok, and click ok again
and I hoped it was going to ask me to save the username/password but it never did, it pops up asking me to enter it everytime i click the shortcut

I even created a shortcut to the command runas usign the /savecred options, but that requires you to enter the password after every restart (or if they logout)

I understand there might be security issues, I really don't care about that, it's just a personal computer, not a work computer.

Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Right clicking the program or shortcut, then selecting Run as, then ticking The following user. Then entering there user info, always worked for me.

Perhaps that is the same thing as

runas usign the /savecred options

But, I am not sure. The right click > Run as always did it for me.

note: You must know the admin password...

Tayspen: Does that save the settings after you reboot?

Right clicking the program or shortcut, then selecting Run as, then ticking The following user. Then entering there user info, always worked for me.

Perhaps that is the same thing as

But, I am not sure. The right click > Run as always did it for me.

note: You must know the admin password...

that won't work because it will not save the password, which is what I want. I know I can enter the password each and every single time, but I don't want to have to do that, that's why I posted the question. The runas option at least will save the password for the entire session while the user is logged in, but it won't work on a logout or a reboot

I can make a program that does this if you want.... in fact, I've already started working on one (some time ago), I can resurrect it and finish it up if you'd like.....

EDIT: The code is just about done now.... I'm going to test it and work out any kinks, but it seems to work swell. How it works is, on the first load up you give it the information, username, password, domain (if applicable), and the path to the program to run. Then you hit save, and it saves all that info in the registry.... it also encrypts the password. It's not a super-secure algorithm for the encryption, but it keeps it from being plain text, and it might take a little work to get through. Everytime you run it after that, it reads the info from the registry, and uses it to the launch the program you have specified as the user you have specified.... if you need to change the information used by the program, all you do is pass the program any parameter, and it will load the GUI to change the info.... (or you can get crazy, and do it in the registry). There can even be an icon for loading the gui seperately..... anyhow, let me know if you want it.

I can make a program that does this if you want.... in fact, I've already started working on one (some time ago), I can resurrect it and finish it up if you'd like.....

only if i can have the source code

Certainly.... it's coded in VB6, and I can attach both an EXE and the source code (in case you don't have a compiler)... let me work out the kinks and I'll post both up here.

i already have vb6, but both would be appreciated, thanks!

If you have VB6, It's better if you compile it yourself, because you can change the key used for encypting the password, here is the source...

right, I'm not sure about your policies on bumping a post but here it goes.

So a few days ago I say the 31 day count so me thinks: time for a fresh install. So I did, and on the first logon I proceed with installing the drivers for my mainboard and GPU. Ofcours the account used had the standard admin rights. A few reboots and soft instals later I thought to maybe take this chance of a clean install to mess around with different rights a bit. So I loged on with the admin account and demoted myself(the account I normally use) to power user, lowering certain rights. But now when I logon with my normal account(the power user) I get multiple errors and warning msg stating that either the driver failed to load or they encountered the wrong handle, something to do with the change in rights doubt.

what I would like to do is take a dig in the register and just have all these drivers load as the admin user, so using the cmd runas or something.:p

does this program actually demand to be run with administrator privileges, and will not otherwise run? or is it just that it was loaded into an administrator account? if the latter, just copy the startup file from the amin user account to the startup folder in your own account... i've done that with nero for example with no probs so it could be shared with other users.. just an idea. it's all a game.

but nero and mobo drivers aren't really the same eh ;)

the drivers will load on any account but it's just that the account where I installed them had admin rights, then I degraded it to power user and the next logon it procuced many errors like wrong handle and failed to load

well, there you go... I knew there was scope when i said i wanted to learn.. :). I had no idea that drivers made ANY distinctions between users..

well it would seem that way, since the account that installed the driver(s) was an admin he would expect it to be an admin on every logon, atleast that my gues.

btw I didn't mean to bust your chaps, and we are all here to learn, aren't we? Anyway anyone wanting to overthrow my theory on the driver thing is always welcome to do so :)

got that RunAs program in an EXE format?

Got that RunAs program as an EXE? I don't have VB6 installed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.