Hi All,

I have two issues that I cannot seem to resolve using Google.
1. My windows account, the only one I have, is the Admin account. However, I cannot save files on my desktop and get prompted that only the admin can save there and that I should contact the admin. I ran a virus scan in both regular mode as well as in safe-mode and there don't seem to be any viruses or malware. I've gone into my control panel to remove suspicious looking software but there don't seem to be any. I have also created another account profile and made that admin but that didn't help either. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (legit) 64.

1. I cannot run a windows update. I get prompted that it is not running and that I need to restart my computer. Did that to no avail. I then tried to stopping the windows update in services, removing the files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and then starting windows update in services but I still cannot run the update from the Control Panel.

I've combined these two issues into one post because I have a feeling that they are related. Can anyone help?

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gerbil

Don't delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore - it is your update history; wuaus checks that. The service will download a couple of files that it needs if you delete the rest of SD.
Can the Administrator account succeed with desktop saves?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.