My problem with excel document. I made a lot of actions in excel file and forgot to save file and shut computer down.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

A fine time to think about a few areas.

1. Backup copies. We only lose what we don't backup (or save.)
  2. Excel does have an auto save feature. Why not turn it on?
    Read how at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Help-protect-your-files-in-case-of-a-crash-551c29b1-6a4b-4415-a3ff-a80415b92f99

In Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, make sure the Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving box is selected.

Important: The Save button is still your best friend. To be sure you don’t lose your latest work, click Save Button image (or press Ctrl+S) often.

PS. You usualy get spam replies about Excel file repair. Those are just spammers out to spam and not here to help you.

What version of Office are you using? All the latest versions have an Auto Rcovery option to let you recover documents that didn't get saved properly.

@ dadgair458, that first site is one of the too close to scam file repair sites and since the OP didn't save files, how can that help but thin the wallet?

Member Avatar for steve.durfee

This may be too late but go into the user profile appdata temp files and look for a tempcopy of the file you were working on. It may have autosaved there. I believe by default excel is set to autosave every 10 minutes. Since you didnt save the spreadsheet first it may be in here. Aslo open Excel and click on file> options> save and check the box next to "keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving" and this wont happen again. Good luck

Eh, here's where I jump in and mention LibreOffice. Eh, the spreadsheet part acts mostly like Excel (which would mean having the same type of recovery options). If I have LibreOffice correct, it creates a shadow copy (working copy) that exists until a save is done {with really any part of it}. I presume this is done in Office also.

Then again, as I reread your post, it sorta sounds like you might have simply screwed yourself accidentally. Hey, Happens. Still, check out the automatic save. Might still be there.

Dear Celestiger i think you should know that a cache file for every programmes we start in our system is created.

For Excel the location of the cache file is "C:\Users\account_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel".
Put here account_name means your system administrator or user account name.

Kindly revert me if this would work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.