Hi,
I am having a stupid problem that is really making my life hard. Me and my team are trying to release a Computer game tonight and my computer holds allthe source code!! Anyways here's the situation I had Windows XP Home Edition for like a year, and today of all days decided to upgrade to Windows XP Professional and it was going fine until I got to the login screen. After I tried to type in my password I got this error: A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. ERROR 0x80004005. If anyone could please help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Don't have an answer just a comment ,when upgrading you allways backup important data ,you did this right ,giving that you had lots of important data on you PC .

No but I don't think it will be a problem because I can get in though safe mode so Ill get the data off that way till I get a fix.

Has anyone thought of any ideas on how to resolve this issue? It has been quite some time, someone must have ran into the problem before and has a resolution. Thanks!!

Do you still need an answer to this problem FROM 12 YEARS AGO? Are you saying you haven't been able to upgrade to XP Pro and still need help doing so? Really?

Yes I still have the computer and I am revisting this issue. I know 12 years lol it's a longgg time, sometimes things get in the way but everything gets done when time permits. Should be a fun blast from the past! Ya know?

I'll play along for a bit ;-)

Is/was the copy of XP a legit one or a pirated/cracked jobby? That's what usually causes such an error if my memory serves me well.

How I fix this today. I try the "install over the top" and if that fails, wipe and re-install. XP is like that and you learn over time that you can't fix every glitch. Sometimes you just clean install to fix it.

OK I will give that a try. Call me old fashined but I still love XP!

Is/was the copy of XP a legit one or a pirated/cracked jobby?

Surely Microsoft has now made available legit XP downloads and legit product keys now?

Regarding getting files, you can also boot up any Linux Live Boot CD/DVD and bypass Windows altogether and retrieve the files in Linux and stick them on a USB, upload them to the cloud, etc., etc. You just need to know where on Windows it is, mount that hard drive (my experience is that will often happen automatically), and go to that directory in Linux and do the copy/paste thing to retrieve the files yiou care about.

Then do the wipe/install thing with a fresh XP image like RProffitt suggested.

commented: Fixing XP feels like me fixing a LADA Nova. +11

Surely Microsoft has now made available legit XP downloads and legit product keys now?

I was referring to when the question was asked, and when the error was produced, some 12 years ago...

"Is/was the copy of XP a legit one or a pirated/cracked jobby? That's what usually causes such an error if my memory serves me well."

Without saying yes or no let's just say you hit the nail on the head! That might have something to do with the situation

Actually it was an OEM copy meant for many computers I believe. I believe the license was for a whole bunch of computers. I forget the term used back then for the copy that I had. But I did not download it from some pirated place. I had an actual disc and the code was legit but I was in for just one person.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.