Everything is working fine, with one annoying exception. My IE home page is NYTimes.com, and it opens correctly as home page or when accessed from address line by URL. Home page has many links, and when I click on these links, I get following message: "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." There is more, with actions to take, and then I am returned to my home page.

This happens with most links--I haven't tried them all. Virus and spyware scans show no problems.

My laptop is connected (wireless) to the same cable modem, along with other computers, in a family LAN. It does not have this problem. Any suggestions?

artthedime

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Solved problem myself. Do not know what caused it, but reinstalled IE6 over existing IE6 (did not uninstall existing), rebooted, and problem is gone. (Simply rebooting several times did not help.

Artthedime

Solved problem myself. Do not know what caused it, but reinstalled IE6 over existing IE6 (did not uninstall existing), rebooted, and problem is gone. (Simply rebooting several times did not help.

Artthedime

I would advise you to try firefox:confused:

I spoke too soon. Within hours, the problem returned. I can make it go away by reinstalling IE^ as before, but it always comes back. Obviously some virus is reinstalling it. I have Norton AntiVirus, but it scans and says everything is fine. Virus definitions are up to date. What now? Artthedime

Several things.

1) Never trust a single anti-virus as proof that you're clean. I hate to be mean, but Norton's not even that good anymore of an AV. I would try downloading several other programs (Ewido, Adaware) and running scans with them. If that doesnt fix anything, post in the virus forum to get things sorted.

2) Have you tried any other browsers? If not, I would definitely check out Firefox.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.