iv had help from this website before this is like the same thread.

im getting errors after i go to fdisk after i go through all the questions. after it restarts there is an A:> i forgot what drive to type in i tried format C , D, E, F
and it is saying drive not ready reading drive E or something like that i hop u guys can help me!
drive not ready reading E is reference to the cdrom ,if you are using a bootdisk withthe ram drive for tool options ,
Did you just install this harddrive into the case ,sounds to me like maybe you have it on the cable with the cdrom and maybe the both drives set to master ,or the harddrive not set to master with a slave ,that is if you have them both on the same ied chanell

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Try going into your bios and changing the boot sequence.

doesnt work
its an older computer

some guy i talked to said i had to type in the drive after E:
do u know of this? b/c i have 3 cd drives in my computer

I wish i could find those papers im sooo :evil: if i found them i wouldnt be going through all of this.

I hope you have a Windows '98 boot disk. If not, you can download a boot disk maker here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Use the boot disk to start up with CD-ROM support.

Have the Windows CD in the CD ROM drive. I think the CD-ROM drive is usually either D: or E:, but it depends on your computer. You can check to see if it's the right drive by using the 'dir' command (look for setup.exe). Once you find setup.exe, execute it and it will start up the Windows installation.

If I remember right, you can manage partitions in the beginning part of Windows Setup without using fdisk (I know you can in 2000, it's been a little while since I've redone '98). Just read what it says when it asks where you want Windows to install.

I hope you have a Windows '98 boot disk. If not, you can download a boot disk maker here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Use the boot disk to start up with CD-ROM support.

Have the Windows CD in the CD ROM drive. I think the CD-ROM drive is usually either D: or E:, but it depends on your computer. You can check to see if it's the right drive by using the 'dir' command (look for setup.exe). Once you find setup.exe, execute it and it will start up the Windows installation.

If I remember right, you can manage partitions in the beginning part of Windows Setup without using fdisk (I know you can in 2000, it's been a little while since I've redone '98). Just read what it says when it asks where you want Windows to install.

they need to format first as they all ready ran fdisk.

go in the bios and auto detect harddrive ,

then reboot with the win98 bootdisk and type in format c:
after that you will be able to just type in SETUP at the a:\ prompt with the win98 cd in the cdrom.

Just another suggestion for formatting:

For the primary (boot) partition; at the A:/> prompt, type FORMAT C: /S /U (it should look like this when you're done -- A:/>FORMAT C: /S /U -- note the spaces before the slashes) and press enter.

The /S switch copies the system files onto the hdd so that you can install the setup program, and the /U switch ensures a full clean format of the drive.

For all other drives/partitions, just use A:/>FORMAT X:, substituting the X with the letter of the drive you wish to format.

this didnt work eather

Without knowing exactly what you've done so far, it's difficult to tell what the problem is. I would suggest going to this thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11350.html

It describes a dual-boot install, but if you just follow the instructions in the first part it should work.

i cant get it to format its saying bad command or file name

i cant get it to format its saying bad command or file name

that usually indicates that the format command is not on your boot floppy .

so how do i get this

should i format the floppy and go to bootdisk.com and get a new one?

so how do i get this

should i format the floppy and go to bootdisk.com and get a new one?

yeah that would be a good idea .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.