im trying to delete a file on my computer and it says that it cannot delete it because it is in use by another program. So far i cannot find what program is using it. I've tried restarting my computer and then trying to delete and that wont work. Is there anyway i can get around this and delete it. btw, running xp.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Langola, have you tried ctrl+alt+delete and looking in the processes in the task manager to see if the file is running? If so, just end it and then you can delete it :). Also I find alot of the time this happens, if you are feeling nice and lazy, just restart then give it another go. Also if the above doesn't work, just look in the applications and close any programs that might be using it, then try again. What is the file anyway? name and extension would be good.

Slade :cheesy:

hope I helped.

sorry, missed the restart part in your original post.

Slade.

You can also try booting into Safe Mode so that Windows doesn't load a lot of the optional stuff that might be locking the file. Are you sure this is a file that you should be deleting?

im trying to delete a file on my computer and it says that it cannot delete it because it is in use by another program. So far i cannot find what program is using it. I've tried restarting my computer and then trying to delete and that wont work. Is there anyway i can get around this and delete it. btw, running xp.

What file ,were did it come from !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.