I currently have an EIDE drive with Windows NT 4.0 running on it and installed a SCSI ultra2 hard drive to allow for more storage. I cannot see the SCSI drive in the Windows NT environment although the BIOS has detected it. I have looked for software and drivers for the Western Digital SCSI hard drive, but to no avail. If anyone has done has configured their computer in such away or could offer any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Rahim

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can the 2 even work together on the same computer !
Everything i read talks about one or the other.

Can the 2 even work together on the same computer !
Everything i read talks about one or the other.

Yes, you can use the two together. In a PC you usually do this by adding a PCI SCSI adapter card.

rahimc,

1. Make sure your system has the most current service pack installed.

2. What's the make/model of SCSI card?

Hello,

To follow up with DMR, yes it is possible. You should be even able to mirror the two drives together if you tried.

Service packs are also very important. Back in the days of NT 4, there were drives that were larger than what NT 4 could work with, and unless you had SP2 (I think) installed, your larger hard drive would be reported as a much smaller volume and cause other headaches.

You are going to need to make sure the SCSI card is proper in the Device Manager, and then have it detect the hard drive. Will probably need to partition the hard drive (even if it is a partition of 1), and then format it (NTFS / FAT).

Good Luck.

Hello,

To follow up with DMR, yes it is possible. You should be even able to mirror the two drives together if you tried.

Service packs are also very important. Back in the days of NT 4, there were drives that were larger than what NT 4 could work with, and unless you had SP2 (I think) installed, your larger hard drive would be reported as a much smaller volume and cause other headaches.

SP2 rings a bell, yes. IIRC there was also an issue with Ultra 2 drives as a whole which was addressed in SP2 as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.