Hi,

I'm unable to open a file that has videos in it - keep getting a windows explorer error and then it shuts down.
Likewise when I try and delete the file and also search for it the explorer error message comes up.
Have run McAfee skybot and found nothing.
Run Adware but 'hangs' when it gets to this file.

Can anyone offer some advice.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

I'm unable to open a file that has videos in it

A file, or a folder?

keep getting a windows explorer error... also search for it the explorer error message comes up.

What is the exact Explorer error?

Are you using Windows 2000, or XP?

Hello,

Running XP and sorry it's a folder that i'm unable to open.
the error is the 'Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close'

anymore info you need just ask

The folder may have gotten corrupted; check the drive for filesystem errors:

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
2. Right-click on the C: drive.
3. Choose "Properties" from the resulting drop-down context menu.
4. Click on the "Tools" tab in the Properties window.
5. Click on the "Check now" button.
6. Put a check in the "Automatically Fix..." and "Scan for..." option boxes.
7. Click the "Start" button.

* If you are prompted to restart the computer in order to perform the scan, do so. The scan will start automatically when the computer reboots.

Still here!!!

Have run the check but it comes up with 'disk is clean'

Still getting the problem.

Any further tips would be helpful!!!

1. If you have a utility package like Norton System Works, you can try one of those disk/Registry repair utilities. They sometimes do a better job than the basic repair tools that are included in Windows.

2. If you're at the point where you just want to delete the folder, you might be able to do it through DOS mode:

• Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear.
  • Use your keyboard's up/down arrows to select the "Safe Mode Command prompt only" option and then hit Enter.

This will boot your computer to a DOS screen. At the DOS prompt, type the following command and then hit Enter:

rmdir /S/Q full_path_of_folder's_location

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.