Hello

I have two systems I want to network together:

1) A windows XP Home SP2 machine
2) a windows NT v4 SP6 machine - i dont know if it is server or workstation at the moment

The NT machine is for AVID video editing, but I already have lots of digitized video on the XP machine (running premiere pro), therefore I wish to network them to bring data from the XP machine to the NT machine.

What is the best way to do this? Should i enable an ftp service on the XP machine and ftp from the NT machine on my workgroup? Or is there some easier way for me to network the two (aside from the fact i can't get the NT machine on the internet yet).

My XP machine has a dual lan port - is there any possibility of simply plugging the NT machine in and having that work? The XP machines in my house are on a workgroup through a linksys router. The XP machine i wish to network with is connected through an ethernet cable while the others are wireless.

Model numbers and brands supplied if needed....

Thanks

Hello

I have two systems I want to network together:

1) A windows XP Home SP2 machine
2) a windows NT v4 SP6 machine - i dont know if it is server or workstation at the moment

The NT machine is for AVID video editing, but I already have lots of digitized video on the XP machine (running premiere pro), therefore I wish to network them to bring data from the XP machine to the NT machine.

What is the best way to do this? Should i enable an ftp service on the XP machine and ftp from the NT machine on my workgroup? Or is there some easier way for me to network the two (aside from the fact i can't get the NT machine on the internet yet).

My XP machine has a dual lan port - is there any possibility of simply plugging the NT machine in and having that work? The XP machines in my house are on a workgroup through a linksys router. The XP machine i wish to network with is connected through an ethernet cable while the others are wireless.

Model numbers and brands supplied if needed....

Thanks

Hi

Welcome to Daniweb

It should be dead simple to network them together.

1) Connect each to linksys router with a network cable.

2) Then make them part of same workgroup.

3) Then on each PC share the folders that you want to see from other PC.

As the router is (presumably) connected to internet please make sure you have up to date antivirus software on each machine.

If you don't know how to do the steps please come back and ask.

Denis

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.