Hi

I am new here and am not sure where to post this but anywayz i hope one of you can help me with this.

I have made a site on my own server and since my ISP has blocked port 80 i had to forward the port but now the problem is that my ip address show up. Eg:- 0.0.0.0:81/whateverfilename.html

i did mask url but then if some one clicks on another link the address bar still shows www.mydomain.com and more over in google i cant verify it as the url is masked and so i would like to know if there is any possible way to just prevent my ip from showing but at the same time make the file name appear Eg:- www.mydomain.com/filename.html

If anyone knows the way pls do reply back and thanks a lot in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have made a site on my own server and since my ISP has blocked port 80 i had to forward the port but now the problem is that my ip address show up. Eg:- 0.0.0.0:81/whateverfilename.html

i did mask url but then if some one clicks on another link the address bar still shows www.mydomain.com and more over in google i cant verify it as the url is masked and so i would like to know if there is any possible way to just prevent my ip from showing but at the same time make the file name appear Eg:- www.mydomain.com/filename.html

I think there's only 2 ways to do it:

• Cloak the URL like you're doing now, so that you can't see what file you're accessing. This is usually accomplished by creating a page that has a frame, whose source is the URL you're trying to cloak.
  • Point the domain name to your IP address, and then access your page like this: www.mydomain.com:81/myfile.html. Otherwise, how is the browser supposed to know that it's got to connect over port 81?

Hope this helps

so is there any way to make my domain service show my domain like www.mydomain.com:81 when sum1 types in www.mydomain.com because as i mentioned now when someone types www.mydomain.com it shows my ip (as i dont like the cloaking idea) and is it dangerous that my ip is showing in any way can it affect me?

and thx a lot for da reply

so is there any way to make my domain service show my domain like www.mydomain.com:81 when sum1 types in www.mydomain.com

I think it's possible, but I think it might be difficult, and I don't know how to do it, sorry.

because as i mentioned now when someone types www.mydomain.com it shows my ip (as i dont like the cloaking idea) and is it dangerous that my ip is showing in any way can it affect me?

It's no more dangerous than simply having a normal domain name. And server's domain name can (in fact, it has to be) looked up using the DNS (Domain Name Service). For example, I can see that Microsoft gateway's IP address is 207.46.130.108. If you input that IP address into your web browser, you'll get Microsoft's homepage.

Thx a lot for all your help.

and if anyone in daniweb.com does come to know how to redirect the domain name directly (www.mydomain.com:81) please do tell me.

I think this is totally up to your DNS. check with your DNS host and see if you can set a port to forward to as well as the IP (which you have already done.)

you could also setup port forwarding in your router to make any WAN IP connection coming in on port 80 to your server's IP address recdirect to port 81.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.