just reinstalled windows xp; all working well; all CD based installations work well
attempted to install downloaded version of Norton Utilities (from old download; it worked well in XP before); keep getting error message; "go to control panel to install and configure"

Again; this program did install previously without any problems

thanks
:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Just as a test, what happens if you download some other file for test purposes and try running it? Adaware or Spybot, for example (since they're useful to have)?

they worked fine

That points at the setup file for Norton, then.

If downloaded files install OK, but just Norton doesn't.... well, you get the idea.

If you're a registered user you can download the file(s) again, can't you?

I guess; ???
this file is 4 or 5 years old though

Are you still a registered user? That should be the key. If you aren't, then you don't really want to be installing it anyway as the virus definitions will be out of date.

I don't think Norton would be supporting that version any more (4 years old), so to still have it working it MUST have been updated several times (and I mean the program, not the definitions)

Are you still a registered user? That should be the key. If you aren't, then you don't really want to be installing it anyway as the virus definitions will be out of date.

I don't think Norton would be supporting that version any more (4 years old), so to still have it working it MUST have been updated several times (and I mean the program, not the definitions)

you must be right;this version likely not supported thanks for your help; much appreciated

you are likely correct;version too old; thanks for your insight

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.