Hello everyone. I'm trying to write a small Perl script to test a web application I'm developing. The problem is it needs to open a cookie file in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder and Windows seems to be denying it access. The shell seems to be blocked from accessing this folder as well, so I can't use that to copy the file to a normal location from within the script. Will I have to use a system call to access this file or is there a simpler way? Any help appriciated.

Steven.

Note: I'm using Windows 98 SE (i.e. the best Windows ever :p ).

First of all, cookies are not in temporary internet files. They are in "C:\Windows\cookies" folder.

And for the Temp.internet files, you'll need to know the full path to the file (I advise that you use 8.3 names). Should be something like this:

"C:\WINDOWS\Tempor~1\Content.IE5\4NMSCF1J\file.ext"

Tricky part is to get that "4NMSCF1J" folder name. Don't know the location where it's stored. Probably somewhere in C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

There's always a manual peek via command prompt.

BTW, only files you would be denied access to are :

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
(Unless you are in safe mode without network support)

"C:\Windows\cookies\index.dat", (it has System attribute on by default)

and

"C:\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat" (unless you haven't turned on internet explorer yet in current session)

(I know my Win98)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.