I get an error message that says cannot open install.log

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

gee, billy, u want us to guess at a lot of stuff.. did u just install xp? or some other software? or are you trying to uninstal some software and the uninstaller cannot find the install.log?
If it is the last.. [an i'm guessing here, mind... but i ask myself y would anyone want to read an install log for fun?].... then the uninstaller.exe of the pgm u r trying to remove cannot find the log of what was actually installed, and where it was put. The quick solution is to re-install the software OVER THE TOP of the original... ie put it to same folder. That will create a new install.log... which will direct the uninstaller when you run it. Come back with how you get on....

...i always keep in a folder the setup.exe files etc of any software i load... just in case. This aint a perfect world.. just ask M$.

Hi there. Hope no one minds me intruding. I am a 70 yr old geezer that has allowed a lot of "tech" to pass me by. My problem is:
I have (at least 3) things I want to uninstall. When I use the normal path (using "add or remove programs) I get the message "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file"
I am using XP (Sp3), and the programs I am trying to remove are "Yahoo Messenger, and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3."

How can I hire someone to email me a step by step procedure for removing these unwanted files?

ps I stated that I had at least 3, and only listed 2. If I get these two solved I can live with the other one.

You were only a 66-yold pre-geezer when this thread opened.. :)
But anyway.... you can use free "brute-force" uninstallers which search your sys for any known linked references/files [both revo uninstaller and perfect uninstaller have working free trials], or you can do this:

Yahoo Messenger. The problem here is that the uninstaller unwise.exe cannot see the install.log even if it is present in the same folder. Browse in Explorer to \Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\unwise.exe;
-go Start, Run, and enter cmd -the command window should open
-lclick that file unwise.exe and drag inot the command window.
-click inside the cmd window; to the line that is there, backspace to remove the ", then add: /installl.log" so that you have something like...
C:\Documents and Settings\Geezer>"...\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\unwise.exe /install.log"
-press Enter. That should uninstall Messenger.

Spybot: Simply delete the application folder, Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ and all its contents.
-next use Search to find files with Spybot in their name in documents and Settings folder, delete those files.
-there is only one registry entry, you can ignore it cos it will be quite harmless remaining there.
No.3: -give us a hint....

I may be a 76 yr old when I get this fixed thanks to my senior moments I have these days. THANKS

But anyway.... you can use free "brute-force" uninstallers which search your sys for any known linked references/files [both revo uninstaller and perfect uninstaller have working free trials], or you can do this:

Yahoo Messenger. The problem here is that the uninstaller unwise.exe cannot see the install.log even if it is present in the same folder. Browse in Explorer to \Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\unwise.exe;
-click inside the cmd window; to the line that is there, backspace to remove the ", then add: /installl.log" so that you have something like...
C:\Documents and Settings\Geezer>"...\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\unwise.exe /install.log"

Spybot: Simply delete the application folder, Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ and all its contents.
-next use Search to find files with Spybot in their name in documents and Settings folder, delete those files.
-there is only one registry entry, you can ignore it cos it will be quite harmless remaining there.

I may be a 76 yr old when I get this fixed thanks to the "senior moments" I have these days. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP. I will keep you posted as I make progress.

Aww... I hope we can do it a lot faster than that.
Here's another way to force an uninstaller to use the install.log: use explorer to navigate to the program's folder where the install.log an uninstaller exe exist... in Yahoo Mess case it would be unwise.exe..., lclick the install.log and drag it onto unwise.exe, release it there. Unwise.exe should start with the log already in its mind.

yea i am not get proper idea about install.log error message.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.