I have ran my Reg Fixer and it has showed 4 problems : Active X mostly: Can I just delete them .
These are the reg Keys:

:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{32F87EA3-AD21-43FF-9F1A-657E58D13399}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\NavShellExtEx.DLL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{1E6478F0-7FA8-11D2-B40A-00600831DD76}

When I click fix problem it does not fix it it just keeps re-appearing at every scan.
It says the problems can cause PC crash and that is happening so I am trying to illimanate 1x1 to see if it helps

Thanks for any help

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Firstly i must ask what your motive was behind running this registry cleaner and the outcome you hoped to achieve?

Did you back-up your reg before attempting any fix as your software program should have advised?

Yes I backed up my registry:
I have a Custom Built computer : My brother-in -law builds them : He is as mind boggled as I am with the freeze ups and the PC not starting up : this has been going on for months now: so I have ventured out on my own to try and find the solution:
The Pc will not start up sometimes: it freezes: it will half load then Windows freezes: it will freeze in sleep mode : it will freeze on -line off line: it will say Disk Error: No hard drive detected : when trying to start up

We have replaced the hard drive: checked the voltage with a meter : had phone lines replaced : Have started up with just the Mouse / Key board monitor/
Changed outlets / and even houses to start up
We have removed programs 1x1
Checked for conflicts : run Virus scans and disk checks/ checked settings : updated drives and windows:
The Pc will work good for 2 weeks then bang starts freezing up again: it can be off all night so it is not over heating : but will not load up in the am when I start up takes about 2hrs: to get it going then it may be fine all day or even for 2 weeks then starts again?...
My Broither-in law is very experienced as well he set up the Police service Pc's in our Province: He just cannot put his finger on the problem. He has run every system check he knows

So I bought a REG Cleanner and it said I had 391 errors....I backed up my registry and ran it ...I am running faster now : And have shut down a few times and the PC has started up no Problem : I won't really no until tomorrow am : this is when it acts up
I have taken out unused programs on my start menu: to see if one of them may be the cause?
I have removed newly installed programs: and even changed some of the cables: replaced my power bar :
I am ready to put this thing threw a w9indow
If there is any thing else I can try Please let me know
Thank You

sorry about the delay Debden..... you know how it is (wife and two daughters under 2)

Quote from wife (god bless her) "im sure your pute is jealous that you married me". probably the other way around honey!

Anyway back to business...... mmmm. i see the big picture now!

Sadly the dilemma you face is more often than not, a trial and error situation that usually involves many possible variables.

After reviewing the situation and taking on board the efforts of yourself and your brother in law, im still stuck on one point. You mentioned that you have already replaced your hard drive and im assuming that you 'clean installed' your O/S after this fact, to no avail (would this be correct?)
One would assume that this should take care of any registry conflicts you may have had, however this is not always so.
Please satisfy yourself that all these possibilities can be eliminated:
Hardware: Defective or mismatched components in your computer.
Aluminum Migration & ESD: Premature ageing and “Electro Static Discharge” can make a computer very intermittent.
Operating System: Some versions of Windows have bugs that can cause these problems.
Drivers: Buggy or down-level drivers can cause many problems.
Software: Some programs have bugs in them that can cause these problems.
Memory Fragmentation: Do you often see the message, "System is dangerously low in resources" If so you are probably suffering Memory Fragmentation.
CMOS Settings: Improper CMOS settings can cause many problems. Changing CMOS settings can also be used to help diagnose some hardware problems.
Loading Order: The order in which the software components of your computer are loaded into memory, at startup each day, can cause a multitude of odd problems.
A Combination of the above: Defects in any of the above may only show up under specific circumstances.
@ members.......please feel free to help us out here!
a bunch of heads are better than one.....

Thank you for giving me some added direction I can look into :
Yes I know about family Hubby and 2 girls here to.lol ( 4 and7 )

I went into Administrative tools this am after the PC didn't start up again:
This is what I found :

Details
Product:Windows Operating System
Event ID:51Source:Disk
Version:5.2
Symbolic Name:IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message:An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation. ExplanationAn input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.
User ActionIf these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.
Version:5.0
Symbolic Name:IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message:An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation. ExplanationAn input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.
User ActionIf these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.
[IMG]http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/images/hiderMinus.gif[/IMG] Related Knowledge Base articles
You can find additional information on this topic in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:• Information about Event ID 51When you write information to the physical disk, the system event log may log the following event message: Event ID: 51 Event Type: Warning Event Source: Disk Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging...

Could this be the Problem and if so What do I do : this is well beyond my PC capabilities....

I think I have ruled out a few of the other options :
I have never had low resource error appear

Static electro Charge: The Pc sits on a ceramic floor and I have no Magnetic Speakers within a Range to effect it If somthing else can cause Static Electro : let me know I can check it out Unless you are speaking of inside the PC itself

I also checked for conflicts and also went into Device Mamger I checked it 1x1 and they are all working properly so it says ?

All my Drivers have just been recently updated : this is not to say I could also have updated another problem : but this has been happening for so long It didn't cause the problem

I have changed My ISP ? using NetScape now thought perhaps it was the provider when I was on-line
Thought Modem interference : had phone lines replaced but this happens at startup and on-line to

I am very interested at the order of programs being loaded to memory this seems feasible:

One thing I will mention : it freezes up a few times and won't load up for a while Once it gets this all out of its System so to speak .......it can be shut down and started up all day long with no problems and Quits freezing up off line and on -line but look out the next am. It starts all over again.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Thank You for your time .

Pluugin away

Hi DebDen,

I tend to think that your problem is hardware related. This sort of "loose contact"-like behavior can be caused also by a faulty motherboard and this happens even with brands known for their quality (i.e. Asustec). People with this kind of problem often end up swapping the MoBo. The error you see in the Event Viewer points to the storage device. Since you replaced the HDD already, the controller on the MoBo may or may not have a kink.

Almost any other device can be the reason, too. Since you checked the power supply, this is most likely not the perpetrator. But I just learned that some hard disks are very picky on the 12V-line (of which I thought it doesn't matter) and go nuts if the voltage is only 11,7V or alike.

Then get sure that memory modules are not causing the trouble indirectly: Test them with Memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com.

The only way to solve this evil problem is to keep on swapping things on that machine. But before taking this efforts you have to be sure that software (which can cause "loose contact"-like errors, too!) is not the reason. I would reinstall Windows now, but without any bells and whistles - no SP2 (don't connect that machine to the internet in this condition) and only the essential hardware plus drivers installed. Then install a harmless application (a reason to use that machine), play with it and wait for the error to come. But all this here is only an unfolded version of what DigitalLocksmith already wrote.

Thank You for your advice:
I will test the Memory Modules : with the Program you sugested :
I am going to look into having My MOBO changed as well:
I have already changed cables : that was one of the first things I did

I am Curious how-ever why you say NOT to hook that Machine up to the Internet? What am I openeing the door to here?

Thanks for your help I at least have some more avenue's you guys are great!

I will test the Memory Modules : with the Program you sugested :

Good. I guess that they're ok but this way you can get sure about them. Good feeling then, since memory is one of the most crucial things in any computer.

I am going to look into having My MOBO changed as well:

This is the last step of course - if everything else seems to be working, this might be the solution.

I am Curious how-ever why you say NOT to hook that Machine up to the Internet? What am I openeing the door to here?

If you run your computer without Service Packs (minimal troubleshooting setup) or with SP1 only, your computer is pretty vulnerable (it has open doors (ports) then indeed) unless it's sitting behind a router with NAT/hardware firewall. Installing a software firewall would be a potential source of software woes and even though it's pretty unlikely that it would disturb your troubleshooting, I would not do that until I'm sure what's going on.

Good luck!

Usally those dumb reg fixers will just claim that you have something to be fixed especially when it is an unregistered version.Also,Active X problems are always occuring. There arn't really important either

IMHO this sounds like it may be a dying/defective power supply, when your power supply is dying it is common for it to shut down devices like the hard drive, check in the bios for a line voltage reading, or get something like Lavalys Everest or Sisoft Sandra and monitor the 5 volt and 12 volt rails. they should be fairly stable and within -/+ 5% percent 12v(11.4v/12.6v) 5v(4.75v/5.25v). If they are higher or lower than those values or if the values dips and rise erradictly odds are you have a bad/dying power supply and it should be replaced ASAP as it could result in complete system failure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.