sometimes my screen just fades to black for no apparent reason at all. i could be sitting idol reading a web page or playing game, sometimes it happens when im not even doing anything (IE its just idoling on the desktop) its not a heat issue for i have tested several cards(also monitoring the temps and it happend to the other cards too), and its not any loose wires ive opend up the machine and checked through all of the wires everything is nice and snug.

Also when it fades to black i can still do things, i just cant see anything at all. The monitorlight doesnt change like it does when it sleeps (it stays green, but when its out of sync or asleep the light is yellow)

heres my system specs.

WinowsXP Svc Pack1
P4VXASD2+ (motherboard serial number, make is Mainboard)
P4 1.8 Ghz Proccessor
160GB maxtor Hard Drive
1024 MB DDR RAM
PNY Verto 5600, 256 MB
Soundblaster Audigy (Creative)

any other specs i will gladly give them to you. thank you for any help that you may be able to offer.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

The first thing you should do is try to narrow things down. If possible, try another monitor and ideally, also put your monitor on another computer. That will at least tell you if the problem lies with the monitor or not.

ill try that and get back to you, its just that i need this monitor because my only other monitor cant display anything about 1024x768 and i need 1600x1240

Could you provide the make and model number of your monitor please, and also the scren resolution and refresh rate you are using.

Your problem certainly sounds like one which is related to the monitor itself.

alright

TeleVideo
SVP300 Super View Pro Series

Resolution.
1600x1200
Color Depth
Refresh Rate
72Hz

the drivers are custom written drivers using Power Strip But this problem occured long before i made the custom drivers.

That monitor is running at its maximum resolution of 1600x1200, and should be set to no more than 66Hz refresh rate at that resolution. Any time you push a monitor to its 'maximum' settings rather than running it at 'recommended' settings, you run the risk of shortening its life.

As the monitor is now a few years old, if you've been running it at those settings for any length of time it may have caused damage. If it is 'fading' to black in use (not 'switching' to black) then it just may be well on the way out.

yeah, usualy after awhile it comes back (a few minutes) but what i dont get is this. i thought it might be a PSU problem so i got a 410W power suply compared to my old 310W power supply and it didnt fade to black for awhile, but then it started right back up after a few days. though it may have happend at night i dunno because my computer is on during my sleep but the monitor stays turned off. also its not like a fade fade to black. its alsmost like everything gets bigger. likes its fading out to the edges and then goes black as it does that.

I'm no electronics technician, mate, but it definitely sounds like a dying monitor to me. And I'd hazard a guess that it's because the monitor has been used at further than its recommended settings.

I'm no electronics technician, mate, but it definitely sounds like a dying monitor to me. And I'd hazard a guess that it's because the monitor has been used at further than its recommended settings.

Hey CW-

Actually, I am a degreed ET, and I agree with you- that's why I suggested the monitor switch as the first point of action. From the description K_T posted, it does sound as though the electronics in the monitor are failing.

I'll post more info tomorrow, but at the moment dinner calls in my end of the world, so logging off I must...

:)

i switched with my dads ViewSonic P815 Professional Series monitor. its pretty huge, but its soooooo dark (the brightness contrast at max look like 50% on old monitor) but ill give updates on if it happens again. thanks for all the help that you guys/gals have been able to offer.

Hey K_T,

If you can, try the new monitor for a couple of days or so. If you don't experience the problem, it might very well be an issue with the moni itself. As I said, trying yuor problematic monitor on another system will pretty much tell you for sure.

Hey K_T,

If you can, try the new monitor for a couple of days or so. If you don't experience the problem, it might very well be an issue with the moni itself. As I said, trying yuor problematic monitor on another system will pretty much tell you for sure.

yeah, the only issue with that is sometimes it can go up to 2 days without an issue, so i cant sit and wait around for it to happen so ill just see if it happens again on this machine with new monitor. keepin my fingers crossed! (if it happens again ill just pull and ol'yeller on this comp and take it out back if ya know what i mean ;))

(if it happens again ill just pull and ol'yeller on this comp and take it out back if ya know what i mean ;))

Arf!Arf!... BANG!...

:mrgreen:

so far so good. ill post again tomorrow with another update.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.