I bought a PC second hand, well it has this duel boot thing it asks me if i want to load XP or ME. All I want to do is remove it and run XP. Then format and repartition my HD. Seems simple enough for some. But me well I've got no idea on this Duel boot thing. Just one OS would suit me perfect. :mad:

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

If you want to repartition and format the hard drive, boot the system with a Windows 98 boot disk and type fdisk which will bring you to the screen you will need to define the partitions for your system. Then format and reinstall your O/S of choice. This will get rid of the dual boot issue, provided you wipe out all partitions with fdisk. If it's still a problem, try fdisk /mbr which rewrites the master boot record of the drive.

CHEERS TheOgre. I was thinking it would be something like that. You gave me the confirmation that i needed.

No worries :)

If you still need help, let me know.

Cheers.

eerrr.... uummm......

Is Windows Me actually ON the drive or is it just reporting the option at boot up? If there aren't two Windows folders, it's not on there and there's no need to format.

A simple file edit would be all that's necessary in that event!

Considering it's a used system with someone else's version/license of XP, and according to rellie1977 he wanted to format the drive anyway, it's HIGHLY ADVISABLE that the drive get reformatted. Plus, there's no worries of whether or not the system is infected with viruses, malware, etc. if a clean O/S is installed on a fresh partition.

Considering it's a used system with someone else's version/license of XP, and according to rellie1977 he wanted to format the drive anyway, it's HIGHLY ADVISABLE that the drive get reformatted. Plus, there's no worries of whether or not the system is infected with viruses, malware, etc. if a clean O/S is installed on a fresh partition.

Exactly!:)

I saw no mention there that rellie1977 actually has a Windows CD there, people. I try not to jump to conclusions straight off ;)

A quick edit to 'boot.ini' might be all that's needed here!

o.k ladies and gentlemen.

The problem is solved i just re-formated it simple! Installed what i wanted..

All Is good case closed :)

I got Winxp and win2k installed as a duel boot, im currently using xp and the win2k folders are in my c directory, i just want to remove 2k from my computer, and keep xp with out reformating or reinstalling.. what do i do...
when i put winxp cd in i was told to pretend as if i was reinstalling xp and delete the partion then quit, but i see one partion, and im afriad if i do, it will format xp.. HELP i also have win2k cd

I got Winxp and win2k installed as a duel boot, im currently using xp and the win2k folders are in my c directory, i just want to remove 2k from my computer, and keep xp with out reformating or reinstalling.. what do i do...
when i put winxp cd in i was told to pretend as if i was reinstalling xp and delete the partion then quit, but i see one partion, and im afriad if i do, it will format xp.. HELP i also have win2k cd

This sounds to simple ,.
http://www.pctechnicians.ca/help/delxpw2k.html

ok i got rid of it in my boot.ini, but when i do run/msconfig/boot.ini tab, it still shows it there. i dont understand...

ok i got rid of it in my boot.ini, but when i do run/msconfig/boot.ini tab, it still shows it there. i dont understand...

Sorry ,Were did it tell you to get rid of it ,you are just to modify it !!

sorry, i wrote my post wrong,, i didnt get rid of the boot.ini i got rid of the win2k line, from it, but during boot up it is still there, and also under msconfig, the boot.ini tab, it still list win2k after i have erased it from the ini

sorry, i wrote my post wrong,, i didnt get rid of the boot.ini i got rid of the win2k line, from it, but during boot up it is still there, and also under msconfig, the boot.ini tab, it still list win2k after i have erased it from the ini

From what i read on the site i posted ,you remove the line frome the boot.ini ,then you have to delete the win2000 folder .Read it carefully

did it all, not working.. maybe the boot ini is placed somewhere it is not suppose to me...

New here, Saw the posts on removing dual boots,...so after setting advanced tab to only see win2k and boot direct to it on partition D,....can you reclaim the space on C that held win98 as a single large drive into win2k, or does it have to be left alone as storage?

Hi Raguel3, and welcome :)

There are boot files on drive C: which are necessary. Formatting the partition will remove them of course, but you can still use the space on the drive. Perhaps the most straighforward way to approach the situation is to use a partition management tool to 'shrink' the C: partition and merge the reclaimed space into your D: partition.

Perhaps the most straighforward way to approach the situation is to use a partition management tool to 'shrink' the C: partition and merge the reclaimed space into your D: partition.

Ok and thanks a heap:)...i would have sworn there was an option to do just that in win2k but i cant spot it now.
But I'll try it with Part/Magic or something . appreciate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.