I volunteered to empty 2 warehouses full of older PCs for the church. The PCs were donated by a school district. The church was planning on sending them to Peru, but things didn't work out for them.

For my efforts, I planned on taking 5 or 6 of the PCs and giving them to kids, grandkids, and/or friends, etc. Even though most of them only have Pentiums or Pentium -IIs, they will work for what they will use them for.

MY DELIMA: There are a few good PCs that boot-up and present me with a Logon and Password window. Some of them I could simply CANCEL and move on, but others are definitely requiring a PW.

MY QUESTION: Is there a quick and easy way to RESET or BYPASS the Logon Window For Win-98 and also for WIN-XP (two are loaded with XP)??

NOTE: I am not a Geek, but admire those that are. I need fairly simple instructions to get me through this problem.

My kids and grandkids will surely appreciate the help.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Dean

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb,

First of all: You posted in the wrong section, this is the only forum on this community where problems won't be solved. I've asked to move your question to the Windows forum.

Then: If the previous owner of the computer wasn't a geek too, the XP-machines will still have a ' Administrator ' account. This account is automaticly created when installing windows. So if you type ' Administrator ' as username and leave the passwordfield blank, you might have a change. If this doesn't work you will have to reinstall windows.

Windows 98 will boot if you just press 'cancel' in the logonscreen.

Regards Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.