Hello All,

I'm running Windows XP with SP2, connected directly to the modem and have been having a problem for a while now of the internet connection dropping ramdonly and I need to reboot to get it started again. I can be downloading or not downloading (Heavy or light use) it doesn't matter. I don't think it's Internet Explorer because I can be using other programs and have this happen.

Someone please help as it's driving me crazy.

Cheers,
Jason

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

is it dial up or broadband?
is it wireless, usb, serial or ethernet?

is it dial up or broadband?
is it wireless, usb, serial or ethernet?

It's Broadband and a ethernet connection (Not wireless)

cable or DSL?

Do you have QoS protocol enabled (under network connnections -> right click on the card and do properties)

Also, what model is your ethernet card / mobo?
My laptop had a driver problem before between xp and its ethernet card that made it randomly spike from 200k/s to like 3 k/s transfer rate - maybe thats what is happening here

cable or DSL?

Do you have QoS protocol enabled (under network connnections -> right click on the card and do properties)

I have dry-loop dsl

"Do you have QoS protocol enabled (under network connnections -> right click on the card and do properties)"

Sorry I cannot find that?!?!?

oh maybe its not in 2003 - its jus i found that the qos network protocol screwed up my pc sometimes when doing things like bittorrent

oh maybe its not in 2003 - its jus i found that the qos network protocol screwed up my pc sometimes when doing things like bittorrent

How do I fix it?

Just looking on, what type/brand of DSL Modem you have.

Just looking on, what type/brand of DSL Modem you have.

Siemens SpeedStream 4200

Siemens SpeedStream 4200

Take a closer look at the modem operations, if the ethernet port on the computer goes dead, then your ethernet port might be malfunctioning, if the port on the modem goes dead then your modem might be faulty.

Some time ago i had a modem from the siemens company and had the same problem where the modem ethernet port keep hanging. I sent a mail to them and they advised I should upgrade the firmware. Didnt help. That modem was changed and all is well since then.

If its the port on the modem try installing the USB port and that should make life better.

Take a closer look at the modem operations, if the ethernet port on the computer goes dead, then your ethernet port might be malfunctioning, if the port on the modem goes dead then your modem might be faulty.

Some time ago i had a modem from the siemens company and had the same problem where the modem ethernet port keep hanging. I sent a mail to them and they advised I should upgrade the firmware. Didnt help. That modem was changed and all is well since then.

If its the port on the modem try installing the USB port and that should make life better.

Thanks - I will give it a shot

haha!

did some searching - some pc's ethernet cards switch off after a certain period in order to conserver power and sometimes the driver is a bit screwed and so they dont know when to do this resulting in lost connection

haha!

did some searching - some pc's ethernet cards switch off after a certain period in order to conserver power and sometimes the driver is a bit screwed and so they dont know when to do this resulting in lost connection

My connection hasn't dropped since I've tried this :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.