Okay, My Computer Keeps Shuttingoff While I'm Using It.....when It Restarts By Itself I Get A Screen That Says Checking File System On C:\
The Type File System Is Fat32
One Of The Disks Needs To Be Checked For Consistencies
You May Skip Disck Check But Strongly Recommended Continuing.....
What's Going On?

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

overheating processor
dead capacitors on the MB
virus

To sort out if it is a hardware related problem, restart your pc, and then hit delete to enter BIOS. Let it sit there for a while to see if it is an overheating/power problem. If it works ok, then go to safe mode and run chkdsk /f.
===Restart your computer in Safe Mode:- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.
- When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP and press Enter.
- Log in by using the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.

Gerbil:

Thank you for your response....okay so I do the chkdsk /f and my computer says something to the effect of it's found a problem with this f/ but it won't fix it because I didn't run the <fix> parameter....what does this mean and how do I run a fix parameter? I can do anything on a computer....but I have NO idea how these things tick....thanks for the help so far.

To sort out if it is a hardware related problem, restart your pc, and then hit delete to enter BIOS. Let it sit there for a while to see if it is an overheating/power problem. If it works ok, then go to safe mode and run chkdsk /f.
===Restart your computer in Safe Mode:- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.
- When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP and press Enter.
- Log in by using the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.

GERBIL:

Thank you so much for your response....I'm not sure how this page works...so you may see this twice.....Okay, so I run the chkdsk /f and my computer says something to the effect of found problem with /f but Windows will not fix because I did not run a <fix> parameter....What does this mean...I'll do it again..if this is not enough information...as I forgot to write it down......I can get around on a computer pretty good, but how these things tick....haven't got a CLUE!! Thanks for the help so far!

cool. I should have gone further and said that if chkdsk /f found problems then to run chkdsk /r. This may take a while.... let it finish! And then check completeness of repairs by running /f again. And if it still finds problems.. /r. You get the picture. One cycle sometimes is not enough.

Gerbil:

It's me again.....okay I tried the chkdsk \r and it says verifying file FAT32 ....it's found errors in file, but Windows will not fix because was not run with \F <fix> parameters....what am I doing wrong?

Thanks again, in advance, for all your patience and assistance

Anna

You are doing nothing wrong... the two parameters /f and /r are parameters that instruct chkdsk to fix different things on your drive - chkdsk by itself just reports errors but will not fix them. It's my error; you can't run chkdsk on the system volume while the OS is using it, and even in safe mode it is still in use. Which is why you are asked if when you try to check the c: drive if you wish to run it on restart. I should have told you to say Yes.
[ To work properly chkdsk needs to have a volume locked, or not in use. [volume = drive, eg c:, or d:] which is why i got you to run it in safe mode, but that is not enough... :(]
By any chance do you have IE7?
Okay. If it will not run on restart, then do you have a XP install cd? Because from recovery console on that you can run
chkdsk /p which is a check only, and
chkdsk /r which repairs errors.

Okay...so w/out the Windows XP disk or IE7 ...I'm basically SOL? This computer was given to me by someone who's daughter went to college....there is so much *&%$ on it but every time I try to get rid of stuff....it runs worse....My mom has a computer at home and is trying to locate her Windows XP install disk...but it's been about two weeks and of course...I want my computer to run right now!!! I've been wanting to get rid of absolutely everything on here and just re-install the Window's and my AOL and start all over....so that's basically what I need to do, right?

What do you know about this new Vista...about how much is it? is it logical for someone just messing around at home 10-15 hrs a week on the computer to get this? What I really wanted this computer for is to work part-time from home...to make a little extra money...as I am a mother of a small child...and money is always tight....I very much appreciate your help....Oh yeah, what is the IE7 all about...cause I got a email on my hotmail account for a free download, I think I saved it....would this help me solve my problem?

Oops, i've confused you.....
Just for a start, you don't need Vista if you like having $150 in your pocket. XP works fine for me; I cannot see myself changing to Vista - what would the reason be? And it needs more RAM than XP. Think bloat.....
IE7? hand me that bargepole and the garlic. IE6 works; so do Firefox and Opera, and better...
Now to the chkdsk problem.
To check your system drive you have to be not running the OS, so start chkdsk any way you prefer - easiest is Start > run, and type
chkdsk c: /f and OK, and answer Yes to the question about running it on restart. Restart.
[another is to rclick on the drive you wish to test, eg Local Disk (C), properties, tools tab, press Check Now, and then Start. You will be given a report. If it finds stuff, tick both boxes and Start again. You will face the same question about checking on restart, answer Yes.]
...and at restart, chkdsk should run before windows loads...
Running it from the XP cd was just another option.... :). But yeah, if when your mum comes good with it, and if you think the puter is full of junk, well go ahead and reinstall - set the thing up the way you want it.

Okay...I have printed off your last reply...to give it a go when I get home this evening....however...(again, I'm really stupid on how these confounded computers work) ...I never get an option to run on restart...in fact...unless my computer does it's little shutting off during use episode, I don't even know how to start up under "safe-mode" could you please help this computer-illerate on this also...if I turn on my computer and "log-in" I get my usual start-up page....where do I go so I'm not running on OS while trying to do this (I assume that OS stands for Operating System (?))....I've just been logging in and going to the start, run and then typing in the chkdsk /f or /r....Thanks in advance again!

There is no need to worry about going in to safe mode to run chkdsk, because you are getting in to normal mode. chkdsk makes that offer to run on restart! It then runs before the Operating System [windows] loads. It will do checks of your volumes [volumes are the partitions represented by your drive letters eg c:, d: are volumes] while windows is running, but will not do fixes.

for your info..:
===To restart your computer in Safe Mode:- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode[ with Command Prompt, or other options] and press Enter.
- Log in by using your account [if it is an admin account] or the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.

You Are A Genius!!!!...okay...so I Think That Worked...or At Least I Finally Got It To Do What You've Been Trying To Get Me To Do For The Last 4 Posts!!! I Ran Chkdsk /f Three Times And Chkdsk R/ Three Times (f/ First Then R/....ect.)

So Now I Want To Ask You.,...how Do I Get Rid Of All The Excess *&%# On My Pc? Without Ruining What We've Fixed And W/out Getting Rid Of Anything...i Have To Have? And Will This Help My Computer Run Faster? If Not, Is There Anything Else I Can Do To Make It Run Faster?

Once Again....you Are The Greatest...thank You For Your Patience....and All Your Help?

Heh... OK, then. These next steps are to kill two birds... we may be able to see if you have any infections which might also be the cause of your intermittent shutdowns [some viruses do that], and may be able to guide you in ways to unburden your pc of unnecessary processes which slow things down.
If and when that XP disc turns up, try running a scan which checks the integrity of many windows processes.
Insert the cd, and go Start, run, type sfc /scannow ...and OK. Be prepared to hit Enter many times while it runs.
Meantime, get hijackthis: http://216.180.233.162/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
-install it to a new folder alongside your program files.
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-Click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.
And how is the pc performing so far? Still shutting down? That can be temperature induced - unplug the power, whip the sides off the case and gently go to work with a vacuum cleaner and soft, long-bristled brush. Get the fan on the processor board clean.

Okay...gonna try your latest suggestions (xcept for the XP install - as mother is still muddlin' round lookin' for disk)....and computer is still shutting down...bummer :sad: ...givin it a go now....I'll be back!

Okay...I tried to save the HijackThis to computer and it said it already exists...do I want to replace...so I say yes....then I close down all other applications and try to click on the HijackThis icon and I get a error message to this effect.....
This application has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found reinstalling application may fix this problem...
So I try all over again..and same story....what's up?

Go to this page and download the visual basic 6 service pack [link is just under the More Information subhead]- save it to a download folder. Dclick the file vbrun60.cab to extract its content [to the same folder will do], then dclick that vbrun60.exe - it self-installs files into your system.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823746
Then try to run HT again.

Just wanted to let you know...have not got a chance to try latest suggestions, as my little boy has been extremely ill all weekend....will get back to you....once I have had a chance to give latest a go....probably not tonite...as "momma" is extremely tired from late nights with sick child!...Thanks again...for all of your tireless assistance.

Anna

Hey, another quick question...do I click on the visual basic "link" you put in your post or the http support microsoft....link? to find the visual basic 6 package.....

Click this:
http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/vbrun60.cab
POW!! and you're there, and ready to download. :) I could have given you this link straight off, but generally if it is at all useful i prefer to give the page the link is on.... to show what is happening, what you are getting, and if it's a small co, to expose you to their ads...

Have you been updating your computer frquently??? with microsoft updates??

HI THERE....BEEN GONE FOR A WEEK OR SO....BEEN REALLY SICK:sad: ....ANYWAY....HERE IS THE LOG...I GOT THE VBRUN60 TO DOWNLOAD, THEN I GOT THE HIJACKTHIS TO RUN IT'S SCAN (OR WHATEVER IT DOES)...HERE IS THE LOG FROM THAT....WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:21:58 AM, on 2/25/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\services\safetyCore\ver210_5_2_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: IE Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ghe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ghe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLSPScheduler] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\services\safetyCore\ver210_5_2_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sscRun] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1168793828\ee\SSCRun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EmailScan] C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\mcvsescn.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uoltray] C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe regrun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spc_w] "C:\Program Files\NZSearch\hcm.exe" -w
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~2\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [syisrhc] C:\WINDOWS\System32\syisrhc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\appres.dll/228
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\appres.dll/227
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: IE Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IE Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neededware.com
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://appldnld.m7z.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes4/WW/win/019-0312.20050111.MmVrT/iTunesSetup.exe
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{E8492849-5109-44EC-8493-843BE0BBC1B8}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe

Okay, My Computer Keeps Shuttingoff While I'm Using It.....when It Restarts By Itself I Get A Screen That Says Checking File System On C:\
The Type File System Is Fat32
One Of The Disks Needs To Be Checked For Consistencies
You May Skip Disck Check But Strongly Recommended Continuing.....
What's Going On?

You need to go to windows updates and update your windows.

Also you need to get a virus protector.

The reason you get the above message when the computer shuts down is you are using a FAT32 file system.there is nothing wrong with that but any time the system shuts down without using Start - turn off computer it thinks there is a problem with the HDD file allocation table like a bad sector.So it will want to run a disk check.just like Win 95,98,and ME would do.

Now for you HJT log fix these.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)

Are you using Netzero or AOL?if only using one uninstall the other.

I Just Wanted To Thank Everyone That Has Been So Patient With Me And My Computer Illiteracy!! My Computer Is Fixed!!! It No Longers Shuts Off During Use.....thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

One More Question...w/out Ruining Anything I've Done....how Do I Clean Up My Computer....as When I Run A Scan On My Computer Is Says I Have Over 40,000 Files And I Already Know There Is So Much Stuff On Here That I Don't Use...i Got This Computer From Someone Else That Did Not Clean It Up Prior To Giving It To Me.....thanks Again

If it is applications go to control panel add remove programs and remove them that way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.