Hi all...I am running 2 os's Win xp pro and winxp home. I would like to remove win xp pro because I no longer have the disk and it has never worked correctly. Can someone walk me through the process? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It's me again.... does this mean I downloaded them into the same partition

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
signature(a095a095)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

And will this make it harder to delete??

Well, the best bet, would be to save all your important information, burn it to a CD, and start from scratch with just XP home. Otherwise, it will be difficult to distiguish which operating system has control of what files. I would re-partition the hard drive, and just put XP home on it, if that is what you want; it will save you problems in the long run.

Your boot.ini does point to both operating systems on the same partition.

How do I re-partition? I think that is what I need to do..Thanks for your help.

Before you begin, make sure you save all your important data on CDs. If you have any special hardware installed, look to find the drivers for them. If you have brand name computer, with all the drivers on a CD, then you are in good shape.

For a clean install, beings that you already have 2 XP operating systems, on your hard drive, then I would use the WinME boot disk to fdisk (create partition).

To partition:
Download this WinME bootdisk to a floppy disk: http://filebox.vt.edu/r/rywilson/RCC/bootmec.exe

Then boot your computer up with the floppy disk inserted, and at the a: prompt, type in fdisk, and select support large disk, if asked. If your hard drive has more than one partition, then delete them all, and create just one primary partition, using the entire hard drive. Choose to create a primary partition. Let the fdisk run its course, and once completed, remove the floppy.
XP setup:
Now, insert your winxp home CD in, boot your computer, and just follow the directions, for XP setup, from there. The XP install CD will format your disk, have it format in NTFS.

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348#XSLTH3120121125120121120120

Thank you just a nobody. Got it all done and it works great. :cheesy:

I'm glad to hear it Rduya. I'm happy to have been of assistance..and you keep up the good work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.