Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with my PC and i'm hoping you guys can help.

For a few weeks the computer has been freezing, so i checked for spyware/virus's and ran hijack this, all was fine for a day or so. Now when i turn the PC on i get nothing, the CPU fan spins as well as an internal fan, but all i get is a continuous alarm sound, i still get the alarm regardless of the ram being in or not, the graphics is onboard as well as the sound, any info appreciated.

Brief PC specs:

Asus A7N8x Mainboard (will double check this when i get chance)
Win XP Pro SP2
40gb HD
1.67ghz AMD

Thanks

Possible failing PSU or Faulty RAM module/s would be my first thought.

Best methods to test the PSU is either with a multimeter to check voltages or replace with a known working PSU and see if there's any change!
Try swapping ram modules (if you have more than one) in different DIMMS and booting with only one stick in at a time, alternating them ensuring they are correctly seated!

Check all other data and power connectors are fitted nice and snug!

The alarm you hear is caused by your system failing POST, and they are known as error codes.....Is it one continuous sound or a series of short and long beeps?

Take a look here for error code analysis depending on your BIOS version http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Regards :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.