My computer will not boot. I run Windows XP SP1. Over several weeks it just keep shutting down when my son was using it. It eventually just stopped booting. When I tried to restore to a previous restore point, all of them had the same problem.

I get a message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have attempted to reboot in safe mode but I get the same error.

I called the manufacturer and they stated that the computer is no longer under warranty and if I don't have a recovery disk they cannot help me. (So they sold me a recovery CD that will not boot.)

It goes to the blue screen that has "Windows Setup" at the top and shows "Setup is loading files" at the bottom and begans to load several drivers and then states "Setup is loading Windows"

After that process, it produces a blue screen with the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this creen appears again, folow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043,0xc43E5000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Of course, this is not the first time that I have seen the message.

Now my system has the Phoenix Restore Point software installed by the manufacturer and they have told me that I could go back to the original installation. (The Nuclear Option) However, I have so much information on the system that I want to try to recover system if possible. Even if I could remove my information from the hard drive, that would be great.

Can anyone help?! My 5 year old and 3 year old would greatly appreciated it, because they want to get back to their games. (My 5 year old has given me until May 19th to solve this problem--foolishly I agreed.) I would be very grateful for your help.

Looking to remain a hero to a 5 year old,

JB

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

umm i turned my computer off to dust it out and when i tried to turn it back on it wouldn't boot can someone please h

Hi,
Start your PC in safe mode (press F8 as your PC is booting, to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode/with networking) Insert the CD you were sold and select "Setup" allow the PC to start the setup process until it displays something like "found a copy of windows XP, do you want to repair this copy" , Select this option and allow windows to repair your installation.
If this fails to repair the problem, the virus that is causing the trouble is still there, contact us again for more help.

umm i turned my computer off to dust it out and when i tried to turn it back on it wouldn't boot can someone please h

Hi,
You would be better served if you started your own thread to get help with your problems.
Open your PC again and check all connections by giving them a little push and wriggle to ensure good contact.

If you still have problems, start a new thread and tell us much more about your PC (memory, speed, SP? etc.), what happens when you try and boot,are there any sounds (Beeps) or any thing on the screen. that way we have an idea what may be or may not be happening so that we can offer some help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.