HI Guys

I got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic on it. Specs are:

AMD Turion 64 MK36/1024MB RAM/80GB HDD/128MB Graphics

There are certain things that I want to do but can not because of Vista compatibility issue. Now it has two partitions one 65 gb as C:/ and the other recovery one about 15 GB. I would like to install XP professional on this laptop and make it dual boot.

What do you think I should do to go about that. DO I have to format the HDD or should I copy the recovery partition on CDs(I do have a vista dvd that came with laptop). What should I start with? Format HDD?? Make 3 partitions 20gb with xp, 20 gb with vista and 40 for data??(do i need to have another partition for recovery for vista out of 40gb???) I have not done a dual boot ever and not sure what is the best way to do it?

Should I install Xp pro first or Vista home basic first?

Your help would mean a lot to me, point me to the right direction cos I dont wanna mess it all up for me?

Raj

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by chris5126

Well after trying vista for this long i m getting back to XP...hope ur experience with vista is better than what i had...

Raj

here are the steps:

1. create recovery discs via the vista interface.
2. remove vista by formatting the ENTIRE hard disk.
3. install xp, and update ALL the drivers to work with xp, as u will incur A LOT of driver errors!
4. Then, install vista (if u really want to) on another partition.

Doing all this should take about a week to a month depending on your luck, so be patient. Remember, good things come to those who wait. Hope that helps, though my i never had to do this on a preinstalled vista pc as my vista experience is the best of any operating system experience.

P.S. i noticed that this post is kind of late, LOL!

you can install it anyway round thier are a lot of good guides around for installing vista then xp or xp then vista just google either of those search terms and you should find the guides!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.