Hey my CPU usage jumps and spikes alot to 100% will stay there a bit then come back down to zero. I am using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ on a ASUS A7N8X board. ANY HELP PLEASE?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just so you know, 100% CPU usage is not bad-- it's not like a temperature gauge on a car or anything! Just sitting at my idle Windows XP Pro system, I can watch the CPU usage spike up for several seconds to 100%, but it doesn't detriment my computing experience.

What type of applications are you running? Have you checked for viruses or spyware? Additionally, does this 100% CPU usage affect anything? If it doesn't, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

could be some dodgy software.. or when a virus scan is taking place... do u have a firewall.. if not.. you might be an open relay spamming the world for the benifit for a spammer...

although running at 100% does not harm anything... it means that your computer is doing someing..

open task manager..a nd go to prcoesses.. can you tell me what processes are running above 0%, their names and % of cpu and memory size

what antivirus/spyware spoftware do u use?

could be some dodgy software.. or when a virus scan is taking place... do u have a firewall.. if not.. you might be an open relay spamming the world for the benifit for a spammer...

although running at 100% does not harm anything... it means that your computer is doing someing..

open task manager..a nd go to prcoesses.. can you tell me what processes are running above 0%, their names and % of cpu and memory size

what antivirus/spyware spoftware do u use?

[IMG]http://img43.exs.cx/img43/5818/usage.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone help with this?

Current specs at P4 2.8e/1gb/xpp. No heavy apps running but cpu usage seem high at 40% - 60%. All normal processes but lsass.exe seems to taking up memory at 4byte/sec. Windows were updated.

Thanks..

Hello,

What you might need is a means to track the processes over time, very similar to Unix/Linux TOP command, that will show you how much CPU time is consumed since the computer was booted. Your screen above shows an instant snapshot, but looking at it, we cannot see how much total time was "eaten".

Not sure where you could find such a utility. But I used TOP on my Mac OS X computer, and found that my Palm Desktop was rather greedy. It now only runs when I need it.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.