Hi,

I'd like to know how to verify downloaded files against checksums such as md5, sha1 and crc32.

I found a few files that come with md5 and sha1 files, however I don't know how it works. I have the valid md5 and sha1 checksum in the file but I need to retrieve the file's checksum to verify it against the md5 and sha1 files.

How do I do that?

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by poslanik

Ok so there are many downloads on this site and each has an MD5 hash. How do I check if my downloaded file is not corrupted with that MD5 hash?

You normally need to get the checksum checker from the site you downloaded from. As far as I am aware there is not generic way to check.

So look on download site for a program to run which produces checksum and them compare with declared checksum.

To be honest it is a long time since I remember getting a corrupt file, so I would not worry about it. The downloading includes checking each block of data that is down loaded. If it does not arrive correctly then it is resent automatically.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.