rwoelich 0 Newbie Poster

Hello,

I've been having a kind of annoying problem for the last... as long as I can remember. When I try to move or copy large files or a large number of files, my computer tends to lock up completely at some point and I have to hit the reset button to restart.

The problem seems to mostly happen when I copy files between different physical drives or from my computer to a network drive. The problem isn't as bad if I use another computer on my network to initiate the copy of files. My drives and file systems seem to be problem free, as this problem will happen with any drive I put into my computer where the drives will work fine in other computers.

This will happen even after a complete format and reinstallation of Windows, so I'm guessing it's a hardware problem somewhere other than the hard drives. The voltage from my power supply is good, and everything else seems to check out ok so I don't know where exactly to look. I used to have another motherboard for this computer, but I can't recall if I had the same problem then. The current motherboard is a Biostar but I'm not sure of the exact model. It has a P4 2.53GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. The drives are IDE on the same cable, but the problem exists if they're on different cables. The only other thing connected via IDE is a DVD-ROM.

Any help would be appreciated!