I have a major problem that I think may be a power or heat problem, but I want opinions. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ self made rig, with 2 hd, a dvd rom, and cd burner. I have 512 mem, an old 2003 FIC AI11 motherboard.

Here's the problem. Up to now I can't load any software back on to my computer after a fresh install of windows. Everytime I try, the computer boldly shuts off. It doesn't restart either. I have to manually start it up. I have cleaned all the fans and inside case with compressed air. It's sparkling. My temps seem to be a little high. CPU is 60 C. Any opinions? I've noticed this is going around a lot.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tonyb187

About 3 years ago. I checked for the paste, cleaned the processor, and add new paste. Same thing going on. I'm leaning toward power.

So far i have tried ram, which one stick seems to be faulty, so it is out. I then took off the dvd rom and left the cd burner on, now i can run cds, but if it's a large transfer it will still turn off on spin up. I still think it's several thing going bad at once. I even seen the video card cause a crazy screen display like a benchmark test once the ram was taken out. A Radeon 9200 i think.

i have taken the board completely out and set it on a bench, so i can see what's going on, if that matters. :)

your cpu is on the fritz, get a new one, the old one overheats, PS can u configure cpu heat signature in the bios, try that too

I went out and purchased a new 500 W power supply and everything seems to be working out so far. I'm still concerned about the overheating cpu. Might need to try a new fan.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.