First thing:
If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and ask that it be redirected to the correct place. This simply seems to be the best match so far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what kind of formatting is used by Excel? I have been requested to create copies of one of our web reports in comma-separated value (csv) format for my boss to use while out in the field; he would get them on his Blackberry and view them there. However, it turns out that whatever software he's running will not allow him to use a plain .csv file, but apparently will allow him to read .xls files. Thus, in order to do what I've been requested to do, I think I'm going to need a way to make my own output (plain-text csv files) at least mimic the formatting on Excel, and would like to know some suggestions as to how this might be possible.

Or, alternately, if anyone knows of a way to get the Blackberry's program (sorry, I don't know yet what it is; I'll be trying my best to find out) to read a normal .csv file, I would appreciate hearing that as well.

Thank you for your time,
-EnderX

You could output to CSV; import the CSV to Excel (I presume your report generator is something other than Excel); save the file in XLS format and send that to your boss.

Or maybe print your report to PDF and his Blackberry PDF application might be able to read that.

Don't hold your breath - though; compatibility is an enormous challenge to mobile applications.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.