Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and after looking through other forum posts I didn't seem to find a situation that matched the one I have.

The system was running fine until we had a power surge. The system ran quirky for a couple of days after that and then nothing would happen when I tried to turn it on. Even though it was on a surge supressor it took a hit.

A friend of mine suggested I try replacing the power supply, which I did. Much to my amazement the system booted after that. Now here's the strange part. It will only boot as long as the 2000 disk is in the cd drive. If I take it out it will not boot and I get the error message. As long as the disk is in the drive it will display the "press any key to boot from CD" message and if I leave it alone it will boot to Windows. I thought maybe there was a problem with the mbr but after formatting and reinstalling 2000 the problem remains the same.

I checked the bios and the drive is being recognized. I've tried changing the boot order to the hd first and it won't boot. I am in the process of formatting another drive to try installing 2000 on that to see if it might be a problem with the original drive.

If anyone has any ideas on what else it could be I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by kimsark

Hi again,

I guess the problem was with the other hard drive. The one I just formatted and installed 2000 on is working.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.