This is my first post. I recently received a computer with windows 2000 that has administrative rights! I would like to format the HD and reload with win XP. I have no idea how to do this function??
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

This is my first post. I recently received a computer with windows 2000 that has administrative rights! I would like to format the HD and reload with win XP. I have no idea how to do this function??
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

why are you wanting to reformat? or do you just want to change format?

why are you wanting to reformat? or do you just want to change format?

This computer has a lot of useless items. I want to reload the entire PC from scratch.

My biggest problem is adminstrative rights.

If I don't have to reformat C pls let me know an alternative, but have to disable the rights???

Well with 95/98 all you had to do was delete a .pwl file but with 2000/XP you have to crack the pass by means of brute force, I would like to go deeper into how but im not sure I should, I am new here and I'm not sure if even for informational purposes that would be tolerated.

If you really mean to do it, then once you have an XP installation CD, boot from it. It will give you the option to format your c: drive before installing XP.

Thanks for all the help.

What I require is a way to format C or unplug/disconnect the administrative rights?

Thanks for all the help.

What I require is a way to format C or unplug/disconnect the administrative rights?

Hi ,what part of post #5 do you not under stand, and need help with

hold up you this is your comp and you dont even have Admin rights!!! WOW

Yep - just boot from the XP cd and you will be able to delete and recreate the partition and then install XP from scratch.

Hi,

I don't know how to disable Administrative Rights but if you are willing to install XP over 2000 (and reformat in the process) then here is an article with info how to do this.

This computer was purchased at a garage sale, with Windows 2000 and has administrated rights. I have tried to reboot from my XP disc.
How can I by-pass these rights or remove???

This computer was purchased at a garage sale, with Windows 2000 and has administrated rights. I have tried to reboot from my XP disc.
How can I by-pass these rights or remove???

To quote a character from long ago "That does not compute". If you have booted from the XP CD just what messages are you seeing that are preventing you from wiping the C: drive?

It will not read the CD on boot up. And when I try to load XP it tells me I don't have Administrative rights.

HELP!!!

It will not read the CD on boot up. And when I try to load XP it tells me I don't have Administrative rights.

HELP!!!

Something simply doesn't add up. The XP CD should be bootable. If it isn't then something is very wrong. Do you have access to another machine that you could test the CD on?

sounds like you need to go into the bios/setup when you first boot the computer and set the first boot to be the cdrom .

Perhaps your BIOS isnt set to boot cd-rom before your HD.

Will, I changed my BIOS so the CD was 1st to boot but the PC just bypassed and went into normal setup?

If youre sure youve set the BIOS to boot from the CD first, then in all probability, the CD isn't bootable, which means it's an illegal copy. Get a copy of Windows XP from the store and try booting off of it.

umm... you cannot load xp from the drive folder in windows.... is that what you have been trying with the CD? To load XP you must boot from the CD, so before you do a restart the CD must be inserted. But if the Boot Order is set to IDE0 first then it will not look at the CD drive for boot information, rather it will take it from the hard drive. So, check this out:- on startup, when it says to, hit DELETE to enter setup and so be able to change the BIOS, or F11 to directly access the boot order.

Via DELETE and SETUP: use arrows to go to advanced BIOS settings/Boot Order - set it to CDROM first, IDE0 second; ESC, Quit with Save=Y.

or///

Via F11 : just change first boot to CDROM, follow the instructions.

By taking either of these actions you will bypass administrators rights because the process will never advance that far - you will go straight into the boot process where you will eventually be given the option to reformat the hard drive [AND SO DESTROY ALL THAT WAS ON IT!!], and then to load up XP. Tell us how u get on...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.