I reinstalled Windows XP on my computer and now the only way to log in is with the guest account. But it is password protected and I don't know the password, i didn't tell it to have a password. I have never used a password. So now I can't get into my computer. HELP ME!!!! Ack!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

try logging in as your admin account.

when you are booting your computer, during the time when it switches from the first screen (the system boot screen) to the second screen (the windows boot screen) press and hold 'F8' to enter safe mode. in this mode, you can log on as 'admin' or 'administrator.' It should not have a password on it. If it does, it means that you had to have set it at some time. Try a few suggestions if it does. If you can't figure out your administrator password, then go here:

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

be sure to read through all the information on the website. and make sure you have a strong sense of how to use it, especially if you are unfamiliar with linux enviornments.

if you are scared about using the software, don't fret about calling tech support, they are more helpful than they sound sometimes.

During install, Windows Setup prompted you to enter a password for the Administrator account. We'll need that password.

Now, when the XP Welcome Screen shows up, hold down Ctrl+Alt and then press Delete twice. This will bring up the Login to Windows dialog box. Enter user name as 'Administrator' and the password. Once logged in, open user accounts and create a new user account.

FYI, the guest account you speak of cannot be the XP built in Guest Account as that account cannot have a password associated with it. Also, if the guest account was the only account, The Windows Welcome screen would have showed the 'Administrator' account. Just follow the steps suggested and you should be on your way.

i reinstalled again and this time i logged in with no problems, but certain things won't work, like the internet connection and i can't change the resolution from 800X600.

did your computer come with a Drivers and Utilities disk? it should have come packaged with it, and it will have all the drivers that you should ever need for your computer to run normally. this same problem happened to me when i reinstalled.

hit 'windows key + pause|break' and that will bring up 'system properties'. click on the 'hardware' tab, and then click on 'Device Manager'. In Device Manager, find the list called 'Other Devices'. These will have a question mark for thier icon. these are the devices that you will need to install the drivers manually for. If you have a dell, this whole process becomes very easy, as you just pop the appropriate resource CD with the device drivers on it, and it practically installs them for you. If you don't, you might have to search around a bit to find the right driver on your resource CD, I do not know if any other makers have this functionality.

Your ethernet adapter or your modem should show up under 'other devices.' For your monitor, it probably did not install the default graphics drivers for your system. they should also be under the other devices tab.

good luck, and good hunting.

i put in the drivers and utilities disk and it couldn't find the proper drivers! I'm sorry... I'm so full of problems.

For every 'exclamation mark'ed item, let windows scan the driver CD for the correct drivers.

I reinstalled Windows XP on my computer....

Need some more information here. That comment could means lots of different things to lots of different people.

What sort of computer do you have? Does it have a Windows CD or does it have a Recovery CD? Did you format the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows, or did you load Windows back over the top of what was already there? Does the installation CD have a menu which allows you to load device drivers?

Simply letting the "Found new hardware" dialogue scan the CD may not locate the device drivers for you. You may need to browse to the correct folder where each driver is located. If the device driver has an installation routine (like that found by running a motherboard installation CD or such) it's best to cancel out of the "Found hardware" dialogue and run the installation procedure instead.

If you've loaded Windows over the top of an old installation and ended up with problems, it might be best to 'bite the bullet' and do the dreaded format./fresh install instead.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.