I am having trouble getting Windows XP Home (with SP1) to update on a clients computer. It isn't displaying any signficant error messages but there is definately something not right with it.
* Windows Update downloads but doesnt install. (update.inf error message - cryptographic services)
* Reinstallation doesnt work. (tabsvr returned error 1060 (424) )
* System Restore doesnt work.
I have tried:
* re-registering cryptographic service .dll's
* copying microsoft certificates from other working pc's
* removing all adware, spyware, virus etc
* removing IE and reinstalling it.
* Winsock fix
* removed antivirus
* reseting windows, i386 and documents&settings permissions from ERD commander
I am currently restoring a ghost image which dates back 2 months and will try to use system restore from that image.
The only thing that I can think of which I havent tried is a system file check. But am leaving that to last as it will prolly take a couple of hours.
Does anyone have any ideas? I would prefer to fix the problem rather than doing a format and fresh install.