I have just built a computer and after realising i couldnt install my version of Vista (as it was an upgrade) i found a copy of 2000 i could install on my empty HDD, and then upgrade to Vista. I installed 2000 fine, installed SP4 (which i had on a seperate CD) and then attempted to install my Vista Home Premium Upgrade. Everything was going fine, it had finished copying the files, and was now on the second step, unpacking or something. it got to about 20% and the comp said it needed restarting, so it restarted itself and then continued to unpack (i think thats what it was doing). All of a sudden i got a blue screen with error messages on it. The reason given at the bottom of the page was as follows:

*** STOP: 0x000000c5 (0x02288e00,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x810e8874)

I restarted my computer and it unloaded Vista and returned to 2000, i then tried again and got the same message at the same time.

HELP!!!

Is there any drivers i could need to install on 2000 before i install Vista?

Any help is much appreciated.

Ollie.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

well cant you try installing a evaluation copy of vista dn enter the key or you can get xp and upgrade from that, or when setup appears ask it to load drivers to your hard disk and insert the cd with your hard drive and it mught work

or it could be a low rquirement problem tell me your specs and the version of vista you are trying to upgrade from?

i thaught win2k could only upgrade to vista business?

dont install vista unless you have 512 ram.

I'm trying to install onto a PC with:

ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
2GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz Processor
160GB HDD
DVD Drive
550W Power Supply
ATi x1800 XL Graphics card
Windows 2000 Professional operating system with SP4 currently installed

Trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Edition, says it can be used to upgrade windows 2000 professional

nice setup;)

anyway i think jbennet is right win 2000 was like a business edition when it came out so i think it is trying to maintain only buisness upgrades if you get what i mean so have you got any other computers that are running xp? if you have download a copy of windows of torrent and use the product key of your other machine on the sticker and upgrade from xp its worth all the trouble vista is great

hope it help reply tell me whats heppning

Thanks, tis a nice setup, but would be nice if it would work lol

My Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade box says for users running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP... etc

Some update on my situation.

I read that you can install an upgrade edition but not enter the CD key during instalation, then you have a trial period and during that time you can install it using the CD key and everything works. So i tried this and whilst installing i got a different error code. This time there was no BSOD, just a Vista information box that said Error code: 0x80070570

Any ideas anyone?

do you have any wierd hardware like ISA cards

ye windows vista is a bit flaky with wierd hardware like isa cards, but isa card are only in old machines arnt they now?:-/

nope just a Western Digital 160GB ATA HDD. With a petition of 20GB.

ye windows vista is a bit flaky with wierd hardware like isa cards, but isa card are only in old machines arnt they now?:-/

vista doesnt support ISA at all now

have you seen his specs i dont think he has a isa card on his motherboard lol anyway how about taking all the the hardware that might be conflicting with vista have you got raid or anything?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.