whats the best browser for win 98, or whats your pick

should i keep 98
use firefox
use mozilla, or netscape.

thank you..

if there are mor eyou rec. please let me kno

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I am a fan of Internet Explorer simply because I feel it's the fastest since it's so well integrated into Microsoft Windows. Of course this isn't as strong a case for Win98 as it is with Win2000/XP. I also like FireFox though.

Internet Explorer lets in far too much spyware/malware. Netscape is a crappy thing that installs too much 'extras'. Mozilla/Firefox are very good browsers, but unfortunately don't display all web pages correctly.

The best combination is to use Mozilla/Firefox as a main browser, and Internet Explorer only for those sites which need it.

Windows 98 is nowhere near as good as Windows XP, but your system needs to be powerfully enough configured to make use of it. On an old, underpowered, limited RAM system it runs like a dog!

Internet Explorer lets in far too much spyware/malware. Netscape is a crappy thing that installs too much 'extras'. Mozilla/Firefox are very good browsers, but unfortunately don't display all web pages correctly.

The best combination is to use Mozilla/Firefox as a main browser, and Internet Explorer only for those sites which need it.

Windows 98 is nowhere near as good as Windows XP, but your system needs to be powerfully enough configured to make use of it. On an old, underpowered, limited RAM system it runs like a dog!

what do you mean run a combo.. i need both cause right now i got firefox on. should i get the othjer to
??

No, I simply refer to them together because Firefox is really only a 'next generation' Mozilla. They're basically the same browser.

use firefox :D

OPERA. Simply the BEST Internet experience.

Firefox, all the way:)

IE, IE ,IE ,just tweek it a bit ,The only spyware malware ,on my computer in the past 12 mnts ,came from a free Screensaver program .I just like IE and don't need to use any other browser.

Personally, I use Mozilla. (I do so because I want the mail and news program too.) Firefox is basically Mozilla without the mail and news programs.

Some sites don't work well without IE, Yahoo! Mail was only playing well with Netscape 4.7. You basically have to have Mozilla and IE to do most web browsing.

IE's settings change global network settings in windows, which can be very annoying.

Yahoo! Mail was only playing well with Netscape 4.7

No, Yahoo! Mail works fine with Netscape 7.x as well (at least it always has for me).

I think it's better to go with two browsers. For Win 98 I would avoid Internet Explorer like the plague. There are security leaks aplenty which means constant updating is required. It also doesn't have tabbed browsing or popup killing capabilities which are essentials nowadays. Also, as you only have 98 the popup killer addition in XP SP2 won't apply.

For your primary browser I would recommend Firefox 0.9. It's skinnable and has plenty of extension options. It also has tabbed browsing and popup killing. Another good feature is that you can import all your IE bookmarks easily. Firefox also has it's own rendering engine which loads web pages much faster than Internet Explorer. Unfortunately you need a secondary browser because some websites aren't completely standards-compliant which is why they are not displayed correctly.

For your second browser I would recommend MyIE2. Like Firefox it has tabbed browsing and popup killing capabilities. It is also skinnable and doesn't require too many updates. As it is built using the IE rendering engine it doesn't always load pages quickly but it is still a good browser.

I will jump aboard the mozilla bandwagon..

Any flavor of Mozilla smokes internet explorer..

Alternatively,you might just want to go with a different IE shell,such as Avant or myIE..both also good browsers..

x

I stick with IE, but have formed a very firm opinion that those who aren't extremely computer literate should use Firefox or Opera, and only use IE when a page won't work correctly.

A week ago, I would have just tooted IE's horn, but watching poor Crunchie trying to help all those 'hijacked browsers' has convinced me people need to do something to protect themselves. Grab another browser and breathe easy...(for now, but then begin waiting. Cause as Firefox or other browsers gain popularity, rest assured new exploits will begin popping up for those, too...isn't it thoroughly disgusting?).

I like mozilla firefox simply because you get the features,security, and pop blocking that IE doesnt have. Opera is too cluttered for me and has a lot of pop ups telling me to buy the more expensive version of their software. I dont think that making IE available for computers should be legal. IT is just one gigantic security whole if you use IE you are pretty much inviting spyware and trojans onto your computer.

You have windows 98 still its 2004 going on 2005 at the leat get windows nt.

Mike's right, (though I believe he meant get Windows XP or 2000, not NT, which is no longer supported).

I have used IE, Netscape Navigator, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox, all regularly at some point in my life. Out of these, I strongly believe that Firefox is the best choice. Firefox has more features than these other browsers, and its popup blocker is virtually flawless. Plus there's hundreds of extensions available that can do everything from block ads, to validating pages, to a built in IRC chat program that enables adding IRC channels to your favorites. What more would you want in a browser? Netscape is like Firefox, but with a lot less features, and I've heard rumors it comes with AOL spyware. Opera is an ok browser, but I do not like how it has a banner add box built into it. When I used it, it didn't nag me to buy the full version, but from what I'm gathering now, that seems to have changed.

IE is definatly out of the question. Before Service Pack 2, it would allow virtually every virus attempt, every hack attempt, and every spyware installation attempt pages would throw at it. Service Pack 2 helps this situation a bit, but it is still insecure and 98 users don't get to have the SP2 version (at least not that I know of).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.