I buy and sell used computer and a lot of them over the past 3-4 yrs were compaq and no ones been returning them or im not making any money fixing them ,Bought my Collage going Daughter a Compaq laptop june /06 and i have not had to do anything to yet ,except run some spyware programs on it !!

i have a compaq server is nice

i still don't like compaq. i prefer dell.

proliant servers are amazing resiliant

i still don't like compaq. i prefer dell.

OH ,i thought you said they suck,funny because I think Dell Suck,even though i have sold many used one with great results ,i still don't like them ,mainly because of all the added un-necessary program the install on new ones ,to each his own i guess.

i like dell because cheap but hate them because of crap case, motherboard, psu means you cant upgrade them

i like dell because cheap but hate them because of crap case, motherboard, psu means you cant upgrade them

yeah ,that too

>OH ,i thought you said they suck,funny because I think Dell Suck,even though i have sold many used one with great results ,i still don't like them ,mainly because of all the added un-necessary program the install on new ones ,to each his own i guess.

every new pc from any manufacturer comes with some type of trial software that is unnecessary, so don't give me that. While dells are a pain to upgrade, you can still upgrade them. The best pc's are custom built though, that way you decide what goes in.

no you cant

my dell has a custom size mobo that wont fit in an atx case, and neither will the PSU. Atx components wont fit in it either.

It also has a sucky (305w wtf) PSU, that has an ATX-looking connector , bit the voltages are different, so if i use an ATX psu they will get fried

And it has no PS/2 , IDE, Floppy so i have no choice but to install vista

well sorry but that's your dell. The ones i've worked with have every thing and use ATX motherboards.

thats a dimension desktop from 9 months ago

actually I think my friend has one of those. It's annoying because the motherboard doesn't have an IDE controller, just SATA. But the rest of the computer, case, and everything, is very upgradeable.

yep, that's exactly my friends motherboard. I do kind of hate it, it's pretty limited.

i have a compaq server is nice

I'm using an old Compaq Deskpro Workstation and I like the room in the tower and no screws required to remove cover or drive; my main complaint is the RDRAM just because they discontinued it but I would definitely consider buying a newer one if it was a good price. I replaced the SCSI hard drive (too small) and AGP video card (I wanted to play games) and ran into no problems with those upgrades, except for the fact that the included EVGA's disk did not work! lol

same.

Ive got a Compaq Proliant 1600 server. The motherboard, CPU/RAM unit and all the drives are on rails for screwless removable and the drives are hotswappable.

It had dual pentium 2 233 (the top one though, with loads of cache) and 1gb ram and 3x 2.1gb SCSI disks, 1 DAT drive, 1 DVD drive and 1 40gb IDE HDD

jbennet, how do you get so many computers?

i inherit "ancient" or "broken" ones from people/places and also like ebay - fix them up and voila

best example was the proliant. The old P2 models still sell for £100-400 on ebay, i got it for free as it had a flat BIOS battery (only cost me £5 to fix)

that's cool for you. i can't get anything from anybody. Stupid americans will throw away a whole computer that's 3-4 years old. They'll put it in the trash and don't even try to sell it or give it away. That's retarded.

got a call recently from neighbor,hi im getting a new Dell tomorrow ,do you want to come and take my old one tonight ,so i can make room for new on ,i said yes of course ,i got a p4 2.0 512 ddr ram 40 gig hdd,17 inch monitor ,i put a keyboard ,mouse and speakers,wireless router and wireless pci card with it and sold it for $300.00 Canadian

that is so cool, but it never happens to me! >.<

I'm so mad. Just because I'm young, people think I don't know anything about computers, and so they decide to ask advice from older people in my neighborhood who don't have as much experience as me, and they give them their stuff. That's retarded. There is something wrong with the world we live in today.

I'm so mad. Just because I'm young, people think I don't know anything about computers, and so they decide to ask advice from older people in my neighborhood who don't have as much experience as me, and they give them their stuff. That's retarded. There is something wrong with the world we live in today.

Well I'm 32 and people ask me questions and then half the time they waste my time cause they don't have me fix it! >_<

That's retarded.

maybe if you stop using such a term they will take you more serious .one day yours [free computer stuff]will come !!LOL

Well I'm 32 and people ask me questions and then half the time they waste my time cause they don't have me fix it! >_<

I hear you there !! i had a computer repair and used computer sales shop opened in a local church hall where i worked part time as janitor ,and had shop open part time ,and people still came and asked questions and when i offered multiple choices they left with out bringing it to me to fix,best one was lady who thought i should fix hers for free because some guy in the neighborhood changed he twice all ready and it still didn't work !!!

>maybe if you stop using such a term they will take you more serious .one day yours [free computer stuff]will come !!LOL

I try to act profesional most of the time.

>maybe if you stop using such a term they will take you more serious .one day yours [free computer stuff]will come !!LOL

I try to act professional most of the time.

I know you do ,and you give good advice ,I was actually surprised when you say you are so young no ones takes you expertise seriously,keep up the good work

The one thing that "young" people tend to lack is patience and knowing when to give up on a situation. This takes experience.

Knowing the square root of computers by way of geekness, nerdness or study is no substitute for experience and wisdom.

That said, some inspirational stuff has come from the younger members. So I'm surpprised that you needed to defend yourself!

>I know you do ,and you give good advice ,I was actually surprised when you say you are so young no ones takes you expertise seriously,keep up the good work

why thank you. I guess I do need a lot more experience and patience. I usually don't know when to quit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.