hi, i have recently purchased and assemblied a diy computer. The problem is that it won't boot. the hard disk i am using is the same one i am using now, so i know it works, problem with hard drive controllers? the problem is i know next to nothing about them and i don't know what to do about this problem. also i have tried installing ubuntu on the new hard disk on the new computer and suddenly the screen displays " Cannot display video mode", ive googled this and apparently its the refresh rate and its something to do with Xorg.conf but how the hell do i get into the text file? many thanks for the help im about to receive.

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by kenny1989

windows is designed not to work if it is put on another computer (to stop piracy) - you need to reinstall

to edit xorg.conf:

hold down control + alt and hit f2 (liken you do as if you were doing control alt delete)

you will get to a command prompt. you might need to login

at the prompt you can either edit the text file or use the wizard.

to use the wizard try

sudo dpkg --reconfgure xserver-xorg

when i said i wanted to edit xorg.conf i meant edit it on a new hard disk which has been formatted but has no OS, does this affect what i should do?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.