I have a Dell Optiplex GX270, with 512M Ram. It came with a CD ROM which I just replaced with a generic IDE DVD ROM. The CD ROM was working fine. My DVD ROM will not read any files except CDA, and it won't even play those. FIle Manager says it's working fine.
First I thought maybe my Codecs were bad, but if I plug an external, USB DVD reader in, it works fine and reads the same CDs that the internal one won't. I'm not even talking about DVD movies, but regular data files, like games (SIMS 2 to be specific).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

First of all check the appropriate jumper settings or if till not work then you have to give in replacement if its in warranty.

Tried visiting the manufacturers website for fresh drivers?

Tried visiting the manufacturers website for fresh drivers?

Thanks for replying. The DVD player is a generic one, with no visible manufacturer. It didn't originally come with drivers, either. When I check it in my computer information, it just says IDE DVD.
I was wondering if there are any generic drivers out there that I can try.
It's just so weird that the external USB DVD player works fine.
I wonder if I see what driver the external DVD player is using and update the driver to the internal one to that driver, if it would work...???

Chris

I just checked and the same drivers are used for the external as the internal. Maybe the damn DVD player is bad, although it played fine in my other computer....
ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.