Hey i have o old optima computer that doesn't boot/load windows xp cause all the system files have got deleted and really need to re-install windows xp but my optima recovery cd has been cracked and has very deep scratches and it wont read the disc. is there any way i c an reinstall windows xp again without the cd and i do have the product key on my computer.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

contact microsoft for a new disk

because i never bought the disc from microsoft i got it with my optima computer and its a recovery disc not stand alone windows xp cd...
how much will cost to get it from optima?

Depends, somtimes you can get them for about $100 depending where you get them.

well im guessing i might have to contact optima. but can't i make one.

i think i have boot disk on floffy but i cannot reinstall windows xpusing the boot disks cause the windows xp is scratched

In order to re-install Windows, you will need the Windows XP disk. There is no way around this. Somtimes, you can call your manufacturer and if you provide proof of purchase, they will send you a reinstall disk, free of charge.

i think i have boot disk on floffy but i cannot reinstall windows xpusing the boot disks cause the windows xp is scratched

You can use a friends windows xp disk and reinstall windows from it. Just put in your serial number when prompted and you should be fine. Otherwise, there are devices such as the disk doctor that buffs out the scratches. Its saved me from pickles before.

Some systems (including some Optimas, I think) come with a special "recovery partition", which you can boot to by pressing a certain key just as your computer is starting up. The original setup files are on that partition, and you can start a reinstallation of your Windows partition from there. Some of the common recovery partition access keys are F2, F11, and F12, but watch your screen carefully as the computer boots; if the system has a recovery partition, it might display a message which tells you which key to press.

well i got windows xp again but the computer doesn't boot from cd and when i do boot from floppy then it comes in reinstall screen butr the files don't copy but i manged to get upto the windows xp screen but aftrer that it says reinstalling system then a blue screen comes up and says windows is shuting download with codes and ideas

...the computer doesn't boot from cd

Check the boot device order in the computer's BIOS configuration; the CD-ROM needs to be placed before the hard drive in the boot device sequence.

... a blue screen comes up and says windows is shuting download with codes and ideas

Please give us the full and exact contents of the Blue Screen message; you need to be as specific as possible if you want us to help you most efficiently.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.