Is it possible to move IE to something other than c:\program files\internet explorer? I want to use that space to put a Firefox installation so that applications trying to open IE will open Firefox instead.

How about renaming the old directory? It says its in use when I try.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Nope, you've got the wrong idea about how things work. Internet Explorer isn't a program in its own right, it's part and parcel of Windows itself, and you can't 'move it'.

But you can make things open in Firefox instead, and the process is quite simple to do. All you need to do is set Firefox to be your 'Default Browser' when you install it, and what you want will happen by itself!

Read this linked article for a detailed, step by step guide to installing and setting up Firefox on your Windows XP system.

The problem is that many programs still open things with IE regardless of your default browser.

It's a shame its not possible, oh well.

The only things that refuse to work with a different browser on my own system are MSN Messenger and the configuration interface for my adsl Router.

Everything else works with the browser I have set as default, including MS Office.

Is it possible to move IE to something other than c:\program files\internet explorer? I want to use that space to put a Firefox installation so that applications trying to open IE will open Firefox instead.

How about renaming the old directory? It says its in use when I try.

Thats just not how windows work!

Try control panel/add/remove programs/ set program axcess or defaults /

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.