I have read through all of your postings and have tried all the suggestions. I still am unable to boot up in normal mode.
This all started when I had trouble with a hp scanjet 3400C scanner. I lost all use of it and contacted HP for advise. I was told to chg start up to safe mode to correct problems. All that did was create MORE problems.
I tried to repair Windows and all it did was reinstall (in safe mode). I have even tried to format "c" but it won't let me because of the safe mode.
I do have a slave drive that has more than enough room to install Windows. Can that drive to changed to be the master via BIOS? Format "c" ,go back into BIOS and make that the Main drive and reinstall Windows ?
I am about at my wits end over this whole mess. Have been working on it for almost a week.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I tried to repair Windows and all it did was reinstall (in safe mode). I have even tried to format "c" but it won't let me because of the safe mode.

that makes no sense ,did you boot to you winxp cd and format the drive and then reinstall winxp.
Also when computers boot to safe mode you have to choose safe mode ,there should be other choices ,like ,last know good configuration.,how do you know you are in safe mode .,dose it say safe mode in the four corners

The system won't allow me to format "C" in safe mode. How can I force a format ?

The system won't allow me to format "C" in safe mode. How can I force a format ?

you cant format a hdd when windows is running ,no matter what mode its in .you need to format a drive before windows boot,using the winxp cd.when you format a harddrive you lose everything on that drive.
are u sure you are in safe mode ,not just running winxp with out video drivers

I'm really sure as nothing will work. When I try to format C even at the dos prompt it tells me I can;'t because programs are running. I exited all I can see,I'm not sure what or where to find what needs to be closed prior to format.

I'm really sure as nothing will work. When I try to format C even at the dos prompt it tells me I can;'t because programs are running. I exited all I can see,I'm not sure what or where to find what needs to be closed prior to format.

Ok. im only going to say it once more ,so listen good ,YOU CAN"T Format you hardrive with window running ,PERIOD.
you need to use the winxp CD-R to format the harddrive before windows loads..you need to take you computer to a computer repair shop!!!

I thought I would add my 2 cents to this post.

It sounds like you're trying to boot into safe mode and then trying to format the computer, this will not work. What you need to do is go into the bios that the computer has, and then select from the boot options order, cd rom and then hard drive, with this order selected the computer will recognize the cd that you have inserted into the cd rom, I'm going to assume you have the windows xp cdrom in the drive. When it detects the cd rom it's going to ask you to load from cd or not, please press a key to load from the cd. It will then go into a separate screen, there are screenshots of what to expect elsewhere on this forum. From this separate screen you need to follow the options to reformat the computer. If you need the data that is on the harddrive I suggest you ask someone you know who is more computer literate for help. Or take the computer into a repair shop and ask them to recover the data for you.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Regards,
DarkRubicant

Thanks for the info but I was able to fumble my way through and now all is right with the world AGAIN

Thanks for your input but it stinks ! All I needed was to be guided in the RIGHT direction and it wasn't to take my computer to a repair shop. I figured it out and fixed it myself !

Thanks for your input but it stinks ! All I needed was to be guided in the RIGHT direction and it wasn't to take my computer to a repair shop. I figured it out and fixed it myself !

so why don't you share with us what you did all by yourself

so why don't you share with us what you did all by yourself,and don't forget you were the one trying to format the computer in safe mode not us !

Oh also if you've resolved the problem could you please mark this as solved. Thank you. Sorry my advice didn't suit you better. Remember we're trying to help you. We don't have to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.