Hi I can't view my website/shop when i'm surfing from the company network domain. I think that the domain name is the issue due to it having the same name. basically the domain network name is the same as the website address without the http/www. so i'm assuming that when i surf for that address its going to the network rather than out to the internet anddisplaying the website?? if this is the case can i simply change the domain name in order for it to veiw the web page? if so will this cause the users to lose their desktop setting due to it being a disfferant domain name?? long winded i know but i don't want ot have to change the name nad re-configure all of the users and their settings

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

in the internal DNS add an A record for the website's IP with the "www" hostname

A www 194.50.25.15

access the website using www.website.... (it won't work without the www)

A lot of companies don't want their employees going on the internet with their hardware unless it's for work.

The best way to save your job is to check your website at home. If you go and mess with company computers, then there's a very good chance that you will be out of a job.

commented: Great Advice +1

I agree with Suetan. most companies use use a proxy server or block non company related external websites. So your site will be blocked, and rightly so. Do you have any idea how much revenue companies loose each year due to misuse of company policy and browsing instead of working?

Messing about with these settings to will get you noticed, and possibly fired. Why would you want to view your own site and store whilst you're working?

Id check your companies Internet/Email usage policy, before attempting anything, or at least get permission from your boss.

guys, just read the post carefully:

Hi I can't view my website/shop when i'm surfing from the company network domain. I think that the domain name is the issue due to it having the same name. basically the domain network name is the same as the website address without the http/www. so i'm assuming that when i surf for that address its going to the network rather than out to the internet anddisplaying the website?? if this is the case can i simply change the domain name in order for it to veiw the web page? if so will this cause the users to lose their desktop setting due to it being a disfferant domain name?? long winded i know but i don't want ot have to change the name nad re-configure all of the users and their settings

this is the T/S's own domain and website.

this is the T/S's own domain and website.

It doesn't matter who owns the domain. It's the filter that's gonna be stopping you.

my website/shop when i'm surfing from the company network domain

companies put filters on their networks to stop web browsing. This prevents virus infections, spyware infections, and improves productivity.

Also everything that you do on their hardware is recorded in a log. What sites you visit, when you did it, what programs you open, everything. It's all passed through the filter, and the filter records it in the log.

I think that the domain name is the issue due to it having the same name. basically the domain network name is the same as the website address without the http/www. so i'm assuming that when i surf for that address its going to the network rather than out to the internet anddisplaying the website??

The company filter will most likely ask for a password to be able to get on the internet. Your supervisor will have this. If you try to hack it, and you get the password wrong (you'll most likely have 3 - 5 attempts), you'll definately be caught, because the filter will send an email to your supervisors and managers with your username, computer ID on the network, date/time, all that good stuff.

If you do put http://www.yoursite.com, you're definately going to run into the password prompt. If that's the case, it's very likely that you'll be caught.

Like I said before, your website is not worth your job, just check it at home.

gosh, people, can't you read?

imagine a website www.abcd.com
that's the name of the company, and the company hosts the website with a hosting company.

now that company sets up their office network with the domain abcd.com (it should be abcd.local, but there are no real restrictions)

everything abcd.com is now, for office workstations, being resolved by the internal DNS server that works with active directory. but the company website is not there, it is in a completely different place on a webhosting farm.

the result is: website is accessible to everyone in the world, except for the company employees, because the internal DNS server resolves it internally, and doesn't forward a query for it to the root servers.

In order to make the website accessible to company employees all you need to do is go into the internal DNS server configuration and add an A record for www.abcd.com with the IP of the website, so it can be internally resolved.

what you guys are talking about is bypassing protective filters, I am talking about a common misconfiguration that lots of small companies have to get around.

@DimaYasny
You're right, it could be a problem with the DNS settings, but from what I've seen businesses usually go through a hosting service that sets up your domain settings.

If it's the business' website, then I'd set the filter permissions to allow access to that site.

Another thing that it can be is that the website isn't added to the local intranet. That would have to be handled by the network admin.

@DimaYasny
You're right, it could be a problem with the DNS settings,

well it is

but from what I've seen businesses usually go through a hosting service that sets up your domain settings.

yes, the public domain. but if you run dcpromo and when asked about the domain give the same domain name, you will get exactly what the topicstarter described here.

If it's the business' website, then I'd set the filter permissions to allow access to that site.

who ever mentioned a filter? read the first post man

Another thing that it can be is that the website isn't added to the local intranet. That would have to be handled by the network admin.

a public website cannot be added to the local intranet, unless you are a huge company like microsoft, who has enough domains, public IPs and whatnot. But such companies employ people who know how to solve such problems without posting on forums

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.