jc1cell 0 Newbie Poster

I'm planning on building an HTPC and have a basic design in mind that I would like my network to follow so I can have all my systems connected. I'm not quite sure which way would be the best since I'm no network expert. I can handle myself with the basic stuff but nothing major. So, How do you feel this would work?

Standalone linux file server where the media would be stored.
Beyond TV Backend PC (thin client with only the OS and Beyond TV, etc.)
4 Beyond tv front ends (one for each tv)
2 production pcs with playback capabilities
and a modem for internet access.

All connected to a switch (modem to a router or use the fileserver as a router also) so that the front ends can comunicate with the backend and pull the files needed from the fileserver. At the same time the two pcs will have access to both data files and media files from the fileserver. Internet would be allowed on the PCs, backend and fileserver (for updates and such) but restricted on the front ends.

Think this would work or should I divide into two different subnets with two switches, two fileservers ( one for each switch) and a router? Not allowing any playback on the PCs (which i really do want). Or one file server connected directly to the router for access from each sub net?

So what do you think?

jc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.